Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Wood: Royden L

1952-1960 (Player Details)


Born: Wallesey: 16-10-1930

Debut: Derby County (h): 24-10-1953

6í2Ē 12st 8lb (1953)

Wood went to St Georgeís School in Wallasey, and joined West Cheshire League side Harrowby, as a teenager. He joined New Brighton as an amateur but, after failing to make their senior ranks, left for Lancashire Combination club, Clitheroe. Leeds signed him in May 1952 and he proved to be a worthy successor to Jack Scott. In the mid-fifties Wood was a permanent fixture for United. After playing ten games in Scottís absence in 1953-54, he took over as Unitedís Number One in the fifteenth fixture of the 1954-55 season at home to Plymouth Argyle and then was everpresent for the next two full seasons and until the twenty-eight game of the 1957-58 season at Bolton Wanderers when Willie Nimmo was given his only game of his Leeds career after being Woodís understudy for his two years at Elland Road. After missing that game Wood continued as guardian of the United net until he gave way to Ted Burgin twenty-six games into the 1958-59 season. A remarkable one hundred and seventy-nine League games with just one game off, and included one hundred and thirty-nine consecutive games. He was one of the stalwarts of the Leeds defence in their 1955-56 promotion campaign, being an ever-present along with Jimmy Dunn and Eric Kerfoot, with John Charles missing just one game. He was again an ever-present in Unitedís first season back in Division One in 1956-57, when he was again ever-present along with Jimmy Dunn, Grenville Hair, Eric Kerfoot and Jackie Overfield, with John Charles, Archie Gibson and George Meek just missing two games. 1957-58 saw him miss just the game at Bolton, leaving Eric Kerfoot as Unitedís lone ever-present, but Jack Charlton and George Meek only missed two and Hugh Baird three. He played in an era when Leeds were poor cup fighters and in six seasonís he only featured in seven games as United fell at the first hurdle each year, in a replay at Torquay United in 1954-55, the next three seasons they fell to Cardiff City at home 2-1 in each year and then were hammered 5-1 at Luton Town in 1958-59 and were beaten 2-1 at Aston Villa in 1959-60. He did play another seven League games in 1959-60 but he was still not thirty-years old when he decided to retire, after being transfer-listed in 1959 and he became a betting-shop manager. He was also a good all-round athlete who excelled at soccer and hockey and was also reckoned to be one of the best wicket-keepers in the Leeds and District League during his days at Elland Road. He was also a member of the PFA management committee which negotiated the abolition of the maximum wage for players.

League 1970
F.A. Cup 70