Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Storrie: James (Jim)

1962-1967 (Player Details)

Centre Forward

Born: Kirkintilloch, Lanarkshire: 31-03-1940

Debut v Stoke City (a): 18-08-1962

5’8 1/2” 11st 4lb (1963)

#47 in 100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever

Storrie, whose step father was former Partick Thistle left-half, Willie Hewitt, attended Townhead Secondary in Kirkintilloch together with his lifelong friend Willie Wallace, who later played with Hearts and Celtic and Scotland. The two played together firstly with Kelvinside Thistle and then Kilsyth Rangers, where at the age of just seventeen they formed the right wing. Their talent was obvious and it was not long before both moved up the football ladder as first Wallace joined Stenhousemuir in the New Year and Storrie attracted the attention of Airdrieonians and moved there before the end of the 1957-58 season. After a couple of minor games for the first team he was given his debut on 16th April 1958 in a 1-3 loss to Third Lanark at Cathkin Park. He scored twice in four starts in his first season of 1957-58, in which the Broomfield Park club narrowly avoided relegation from the First Division. Things improved dramatically for Airdrie in the 1958-59 season as they finished fifth in Division One with Storrie scoring twice in fourteen appearances as he started to gain the experience so vital aspiring young footballers. But it was back to being in danger of relegation once more with a sixteenth position in 1959-60, but althogh they were bottom of the unrelegated clubs they were six points clear of Stirling Albion, the second club to go down, and had they gained just two points more it could have seen them in twelfth spot, as Storrie scored four times in thirteen games. It was the 1960-61 season that saw Storrie firmly establish in the team and attracting the attention of bigger clubs as Airdrie finished thirteenth and Storrie was leading goalscorer with twenty-one goals from thirty games in the League and five in the F.A. Cup, as Airdrie reached the Semi-Final, and another three in the League Cup. It brought a tentative offer from Leeds United, which the young Storrie declined as at the time Leeds were a side that had slipped out of the First Division in 1959-60 and were struggling to avoid relegation to the Third Division. Not a lot had changed a year later as Don Revie returned but this time with more intent. While Leeds had only avoided relegation by the barest of margins they had signed Bobby Collins and were about to lure the great John Charles back from Italy. Revie spoke in glowing terms of the young talent at Elland Road and how Leeds would be as big as Real Madrid in a couple of years. Still just twenty-two, Storrie relished playing in the same team as Bobby Collins and John Charles and the clubs agreed a fee of £15,650 and he became a Leeds player on 30th May 1962, despite interest from Rangers and Aston Villa. In his final year with Airdrie he had maintained his prolific scoring record with nineteen goals in twenty-eight League games, finishing with forty-eight League goals in eighty-nine Scottish League Division One games in his three and a half year stay. Revie had seen Storrie as an ideal foil for the probing long-range passes of Collins and the subtle flicks and headers of Charles, when he could used his speed off the mark and poacher's instincts. So on the 18th August 1962 the fans turned up at the Victoria Ground to see the return of John Charles to Leeds and British Football after a five year absence. They may have been a little disappointed that he seemed to have lost his former dominance in any facit of the game, but they were not disappointed about the Leeds defence keeping a clean sheet and new boy Jim Storrie scoring on debut against the favourites for promotion on their own ground as Bremner in the outside right role and Albert Johanesson on the other wing gave them thoughts of promotion themselves. Stoke did go on to become champions that year, but they were beaten in both League games and eliminated from the F.A. Cup by United. While the return of John Charles was not the success that had been hoped for the rest of the forward line were to grace Wembley in the F.A. Cup Final just two seasons later and only just miss out on the double. After John Charles' departure, Storrie had a succession of forward partners, none of whom were the answer, but in Don Weston he found the best combination and it was Storrie that consistently found the net, with hat-tricks at home to Plymouth Argyle and Cardiff City and braces at home to Walsall, Luton Town and Swansea Town, scoring twenty-five goals in thirty-eight League games as Leeds finished strongly in fifth spot just five points behind the top team, Stoke City. Weston had started like a house on fire scoring a hat-trick on debut in the home fixture with Stoke but had finished with just seven as Johanneson, with thirteen, and Bremner, with ten, bettered him. With Bremner dropping back to right half and Weston starting the season at outside right with Storrie and Ian Lawson in the two striking roles, he had played the first nine games in the 1963-64 season before picking up an ankle injury in the 4-2 win over Norwich City on 28th September 1963 and this sidelined him for two months as Weston and Lawson took on the strikers' roles as Giles had made the right wing spot his own since being signed from Manchester United before the second game of the season. After his return his confidence had taken a knock and he struggled to regain form scoring just three goals in fifteen League games. Because of Storrie’s prolonged absence, Leeds signed English International Alan Peacock and his eight goals in fourteen games helped United in the promotion run-in, but it was Weston and Johanneson, who both scored thirteen League goals, that led the scorers for the season. However, it was Storrie’s goals that helped Leeds establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with on their return to Division One as he again topped the scorers with sixteen League goals in their first season in the top flight as United missed out on the Football League Championship on goal average and the FA Cup after extra-time in the Final. He was joint leading scorer in the League in the 1965-66 season, along with Peter Lorimer on thirteen goals, after making thirty starts in the League. Initially, in the first dozen games, he had lost his first team place to the young Lorimer, who was partnering the now fit again Alan Peacock, but, after Bobby Collins had his hip broken, Storrie was restored to the team and remained a regular for the rest of the season. He also scoring one goal in two starts in the League Cup, one in nine starts in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and one start in the F.A. Cup, without scoring. While Storrie never played for Scotland, he was called up to the squad for two friendlies that were played a week apart in June 1966 at Hampden Park, along with team mates Billy Bremner and Willie Bell. His two teammates played in both the games, against Portugal on 18th June and Brazil a week later, but Storrie did not even make the bench. It was also the time when the United youngsters were cementing their places in the first team and in the first part of the 1966-67 season Eddie Gray and Peter Lorimer kept Storrie’s appearances to just three in the run-on team and three more from the bench. So the strong, bustling forward who never knew the meaning of defeat, who never ever admitted that he had lost the ball and because of that had scored many fine goals for Leeds and played such a large part in their rise from the depths of threatened relegation to the Third Division to the dizzy heights of European football that they had attained in his previous four years with the club, faced the fact that while he was the very epitome of the club and what it stood for, his chances at Leeds would be extremely limited. He put in a transfer request and in late February 1967, after Manager Eddie Turnbull had been made aware of his position, he signed for Aberdeen for £13,500 and made his debut for them on 4th March 1967 in a 3-0 win over Heart of Midlothian at Tynecastle. He scored in the Dons' Scottish Cup quarter final replay 3-0 win at Pittodrie against Hibernian which saw the largest ever midweek attendance of 44,000. He was also the Dons' centre forward that played in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, but missed a penalty as Celtic won 2-0. He also had the distinction of scoring in the Dons' first ever European tie against Reykjavik in the 1967 European Cup-Winners' Cup. He had scored twice in six Scottish League games. In the ensuing Scottish Summer, in the USA, he and his Aberdeen teammates represented the Washington Whips. After topping the Eastern Division, they were beaten 5-4 after extra time by the Los Angeles Wolves, champions of the Western Division. Storrie top scored with five goals in twelve games. He had scored three times in thirteen starts in the Scottish League for Aberdeen together with three in six Scottish League Cup and one in four Scottish Cup ties and four goals in two European Cup-Winners' games, a total of eleven in twenty-five games, before he left to join Rotherham United in December 1967 for £7,000. The hard working centre forward was brought to Millmoor with the hope of helping them to avoid relegation to Division Three, but he failed to achieve that objective managing just three goals in nineteen League games. However, he was more successful in his second season becoming the leading scorer with fourteen League goals in forty-two starts and one game as a substitute in the League, four of them coming in the last four games as Tommy Docherty inspired the Millers. As he had in the latter half of the previous season, he played all his games in 1969-70 at inside right and this helped to develop the young Steve Downes. At Millmoor he made seventy League starts, had one game from the bench and scored nineteen goals, while in the Cups he started thirteen times and scored four goals before he moved to Portsmouth in December 1969. He was appointed Portsmoth's captain in 1970 and scored twelve goals in forty-three League games and one in six Cup games at Fratton Park. He began a loan spell with Aldershot in February 1972, where he scored once in five games, before joining St Mirren as player-coach in October of the same year. He scored three times in nine League games, of which two were as a substitute, and three in six League Cup ties, for the Saints before he was on his travels again, moving south as Player-Manager of Southern League Havant & Waterlooville. He had reasonable success and stayed there for three years before returning north of the border to became Manager of St Johnstone on 14th April 1976, near the end of the 1975-76 season. The club were already doomed to relegation from Scotland’s top flight having only secured seven points from thirty-two matches. When the first four games under Storrie saw them claim four points it gave hope that their stay in the lower division might be brief. That assessment threatened to be accurate for all the wrong reasons as Saints struggled and were in a relegation spot for a long period. However, a remarkable turn around saw them gain fourteen points from the final fourteen games. But, even so, they were still favourites to go down as they played their final match. They won 4-1 at Queen of the South, while East Fife drew and Raith Rovers lost with the latter being relegated. Storrie's side moved up the table in 1977-78 and finished a comfortable eighth but they started 1978-79 in dreadful style and Storrie resigned on 23rd August 1978, following elimination from the League Cup by Berwick Rangers. He rejoined his first club, Airdrie as coach and later work for fourteen years at a sports centre in Cumbernauld then at Stirling University until retirement. His father-in-law, Tony Weldon, played for Airdrie, Everton, Hull City, West Ham United, Lovells Athletic and Rochdale.

League 123/358
F.A. Cup 123
League Cup 85
Europe 10 1


(The Laughing Cavalier)

Jim Storrie - The Laughing Cavalier

By Dave Tomlinson (The Mighty Mighty Whites)

Jim Storrie - The laughing cavalier

Don Revie signed Jim Storrie for Leeds United in June 1962 as a foil for the returning Welsh superstar John Charles. When it became clear that the Charles experiment was a dismal failure, it was Storrie who provided the solution to United's goalscoring difficulties. The bustling Scot repaid his £15,650 fee tenfold as he led the West Yorkshire club back to the First Division and beyond. Diamond Jim Storrie was one of the shorter centre-forwards in the British game - he was less than five feet nine - and never looked the most composed or accomplished of footballers. He made up for his shortcomings with a hard running style that unsettled defenders, creating goalscoring opportunities for himself and his colleagues. He was a very popular guy with players and fans alike for his genial good humour and fondness for a laugh. The young Scottish starlet Eddie Gray was the butt of Storrie's humour on more than one occasion. Gray: "One of my most embarrassing experiences at Leeds was when, at fifteen or sixteen, I was in Bobby Collins' team for pre-season training. As I was regarded as one of the best runners at the club, Bobby felt that victory for the team in the cross-country race was virtually a foregone conclusion. The only threat came from Jim Storrie … Sure enough, half a mile from the end, Jim and I were at the front; it was between him and me. I felt I had loads of power in reserve but as I was thinking of unleashing it, Jim said, 'Eddie, we don't need to race. If we stay together, we will both get ten points.' I fell for it hook, line and sinker - how naïve can you get? About 100 yards from the line, Jim, a real character with a tremendous sense of humour, sprinted flat out to win." On another occasion, Storrie good naturedly chided the inexperienced Gray, "I hear you've been saying that it won't be long before you're in the team."

Jim Storrie was a wonderful clubman, who played a major part in Leeds United's rise to fame under Don Revie and adapted admirably to the target man role. Defenders were never able to relax when the thick set Scot was around. He was prepared to go in where it hurt and tell defenders where to get off. Two United fans recall Storrie for the Leedsfans.org.uk website: "Alan Farrar: "He never quit and gave everything. I have a vague memory of him crashing heavily into the goal posts at Blackpool in the early Sixties while trying to get on the end of a cross." Mike Gill: "Anybody remember an away game in 1965/66 when Jim baited Adam Blacklaw, the Burnley keeper, throughout the match? How they both weren't sent off I don't know. But they both went off with their arms around each other … Different days."

Leeds fans have always appreciated the willing trier and Storrie won himself a fan club on the Lowfields for his sterling performances. One minute he would be converting the most difficult of chances and the next he would be missing the biggest sitter in the world. But he was adored by the fans for the effort he put in at a crucial time in the club's history. Members of WACCOE.com remembered him this way: "Storrie chased down almost every back pass to the keeper no matter how much of a lost cause it was and where he had to run from to do it." "He was such a frustrating player to watch at times, the only way to relieve the stress was to count the goals he scored, not the many, many misses." "The biggest plus about Diamond Jim was that he played with a big smile on his face, without malice and ALWAYS played for the shirt. More technically gifted players have been both before and since but no Leeds fan can ask for more than what he gave us." "One memory I have is of a West Riding Cup game against Halifax when I seem to remember Jim missing 10 to 15 pretty easy chances. One of these chances he was stood very near the goal line, certainly inside the goal area, and still managed to get it up and over the bar." "Another Storrie moment was in front of the Scratching Shed (against Burnley in October 1965). Jim beat the left-back and came in on the byline. The keeper expected him to cross, their defence expected him to cross, our other strikers expected him to cross. Perhaps even Jim himself expected to cross it - instead of which he absolutely hammered it inside the keeper and in off the back post and then he turned round and trotted back to the half way line as if it were the most natural thing in the world."

Tony Hill: "I would call Diamond Jim splay-footed and often wondered at his ability to beat a defender, they were probably mesmerised by his feet! He was also the first player I saw do the trick of centring with any force by bringing one foot behind the other to deliver the cross, something that Harry Kewell later did quite often, although with his left as opposed to Storrie's right. Many happy memories of the 'Pillock from Kirkintilloch' as a friend of mine used to endearingly call him, jokingly rather than with malice."

Jim Storrie was born on 31 March 1940 in Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, in the West of Scotland. He became well known locally with nursery outfit Kilsyth Rangers, one of the most successful junior clubs of the 1950s, and attracted the interest of First Division club Airdrieonians. In December 1957 Storrie signed for them as a part timer. At an early age, Jim married local girl Nancy, whose father, Tony Weldon, played for Airdrie, Everton, Hull, West Ham, Lovells Athletic and Rochdale. His debut for Kilsyth came in a friendly at Doncaster on 15 February 1958. He was allowed to come on as a substitute at half time after an Airdrie player suffered a broken nose during the first half. He scored the third goal in a 3-3 draw. Storrie's first start came in a Lanarkshire Cup tie at home to Albion Rovers on 7th April, when he scored in a 3-1 win and he made his League debut away to Third Lanark. Airdrie lost 3-1 and finished the season 16th out of 18. Storrie established himself in the first team thereafter and built a decent reputation, scoring 48 goals in 89 appearances over the next four and a half years. The Diamonds climbed to a hugely impressive fifth spot in 1959, before finishing 16th again the following year. In 1961 they made it to the Scottish Cup semi final where Celtic thrashed them 4-0.

Storrie's performances brought him to the attention of Leeds United's Scottish scouts, who recommended him to the club's young player manager, Don Revie. Leeds were struggling against relegation from the Second Division at the time (the winter of 1961/62) and when Revie made his initial approach, Storrie was not terribly impressed. He said later: "The first time Don came for me, I virtually turned him down out of hand. I didn't fancy Leeds at all at first ... I thought they were heading for the Third Division."

Revie was desperately seeking recruits to help dig United out of a hole and by transfer deadline day he had signed Burnley reserve forward Ian Lawson, along with veteran Sheffield United full-back Cliff Mason and Everton's former Scottish international schemer Bobby Collins. Revie's transfer market dealing paid off and United secured their survival with a decent unbeaten run. Buoyed by survival and a transfer kitty, Revie set out to build a new team, ditching players like Billy McAdams, Derek Mayers, Peter McConnell and Bobby Cameron. Undeterred by Storrie's earlier rejection, Revie chanced his arm again. This time he was successful, partly due to the signing of Collins and the promise of John Charles' imminent arrival. The overriding factor, though, was Revie himself, with his high ambition and persuasiveness.

Storrie: "Don Revie and Harry Reynolds came up to our house. My wife said I was at work, so they came to the works. They were very persuasive. I listened to what (Revie) had to say and was immediately impressed by his sincerity. He laid his cards on the table. I remember his telling me: 'The sky's the limit - we're going to be like Real Madrid.' Well, I did feel that was a bit ludicrous; Leeds weren't even the best team in Yorkshire then. "I had no particular desire to go to Leeds because they were in the Second Division but Revie told me they had got Bobby Collins and John Charles and all of a sudden the package looked pretty impressive." Revie earned a reputation in the early Sixties for getting his man, whether it was a much sought after schoolboy international, such as Eddie Gray and Peter Lorimer, or a seasoned professional, like Collins and Charles. His silver tongue and persistence did the trick on Storrie.

The 22-year-old Scot signed for United on 19 June 1962, and John Charles followed suit shortly afterwards for a club record £53,000. The United approach and training methods came as a shock to both men, as recalled by Storrie: "When I joined Leeds, it was like going into a different world. I found them so much more professional than clubs in Scotland - everything was so well-organised that it made you WANT to work hard at your game. One cannot help getting caught up in an atmosphere like this. All managers like to think that their players are prepared to run through a brick wall for them, but this was true as far as Don was concerned. He treated us as men, as individuals. "His attention to detail is remarkable: one morning I happened to mention that my son wasn't well, and he immediately arranged for the club doctor to give him a thorough check-up. He knew that if I was going on to the field worrying about my little fellow, I couldn't give of my best. All this might seem trivial to outsiders, but you'd be surprised how much these little kindnesses help to establish a good team spirit and player-manager relationship." As remembered by Storrie, Charles was not as receptive to his new surroundings. "John just didn't fancy it at Leeds when he came back from Italy. He and Les Cocker didn't get on. He wouldn't train as rigorously as they wanted - in Italy he was used to flicking the ball about and wandering about the park. Italian teams don't train as hard as those in England, and Charles did not possess sufficient speed and stamina for League football in this country. "In this respect, I will always remember a match he played at Huddersfield. They cleared the ball upfield following a Leeds attack, and our forwards made their way back into covering positions. After about ten seconds, the ball was booted into Huddersfield's area again - and John was still struggling up to the halfway line. He and Huddersfield's goalkeeper were the only players in that half of the field! "We were a very physical, hard working and hard running side. It was high-pressure football. We put the opposition's players under pressure all over the park. We harassed and chased. Revie was one of the first managers to introduce that way of playing. I was a forward and my first job was to defend. That was the mentality. John was like a duck out of water playing that way. Had he been younger he might have adapted. He wanted to play one touch football and flick the ball here and there. At the time that wasn't Leeds' style. Long balls were played to the corner flag and John was expected to chase after them. At half time in one game, I remember John saying, 'I'm not running my pants off for long balls.' And wee Billy Bremner said, 'You're making that f***ing obvious!'"

Charles and Storrie were signed to address United's problems in front of goal. Billy Bremner had top scored with 11 as the Peacocks managed just 50 goals in 1961/62. Revie had tried six different players at No 9, including big Jack Charlton and even himself. The two recruits appeared together in the August 1962 opener at Stoke City, in a side that included Bremner, Charlton, Tommy Younger, Grenville Hair and Albert Johanneson. Storrie: "On the eve of my first match for Leeds I was wandering around the hotel looking for the other players, and bumped into Don in the foyer. 'If you're looking for the other lads, they're in the bar,' he said. 'Go in and have a drink son.' I thought he was trying me out to see whether I drank; you know, managers in Scotland frowned on that sort of thing. But sure enough, they were in the bar, knocking back beer. Don trusted his players not to overdo it - his attitude was: 'If they want to drink, I prefer them to do it in front of me rather than behind my back.'" While the headlines before the game were all about the Welshman, it was Jim Storrie who earned the plaudits, netting the only goal of the game five minutes before the interval to get United off to a winning start. He had a storming match and capped it with his score, a rising drive from ten yards.

Storrie settled in quickly at Elland Road, helped by the presence of a number of countrymen, including Collins, Bremner, Younger, Eric Smith and Tommy Henderson. He featured again during the week in the second match, at Elland Road against Rotherham United. Leeds were three goals behind after 50 minutes and treading water desperately as Don Weston led their defence a merry dance. Then Storrie headed home a Bremner free kick to give some hope of a revival. An Albert Johanneson penalty brought a second and then Charles played a one-two with Storrie on the edge of the Rotherham box before driving home the equaliser. The move was about the only example of Storrie and Charles clicking as a partnership in their time together. The Millers were not to be denied and got a winner ten minutes from the end of a gripping struggle. It quickly became painfully apparent that John Charles had made a big mistake in returning to Elland Road, and after just three goals in eleven appearances he was on his way back to Italy. Don Revie used some of the £70,000 fee to buy the fleet footed Don Weston, who had made United's life so difficult against Rotherham. Weston and Storrie formed a twin spearhead for most of the season as United recovered from a mediocre opening to launch a promotion challenge. Weston never lived up to the sparkling promise of his debut day hat trick against Stoke City in December, and Storrie carried the attacking burden for most of the season, as recalled by Norman Hunter: "The youngsters … had repaid the faith (Revie) had shown in them and his signings had played their parts to the full, none more so than Jim Storrie. He had the goalscoring knack although the ball didn't always go in off his head or his boots. It would fly in off his knees, his thighs, almost any part of his body - but in it went, which was the main thing. During that 1962/63 season, Jim netted 25 goals in 38 League appearances."

Hunter had good reason to remember Storrie fondly, for it was partly down to the Scot that he was converted from an inside-forward to earn himself a world wide reputation as a tough tackling defender: "I was playing for the juniors when Revie took me to one side for a chat. He told me that Jim Storrie had remarked what an awkward 'so and so' I was to play against. Apparently, Jim had told the Gaffer that every time he played against me I always managed to get the ball off him and that I seemed to be able to get a foot in and do this, that and the other and come away with the ball."

If Storrie was an outstanding success as a target man that season, he wasn't altogether enamoured with the role, as he recalled later: "Really, I was an old fashioned inside-forward carrying the ball through, playing one-twos. In Scotland, no one bothered how you played and I always seemed to be looking for people to play off. But when I was the target man, I had the goalkeeper behind me. Individually, I think I became a worse player. My wife Nancy told Revie this at a function one night, but he just laughed and said, 'you may be right but they are a very successful team.' That was true. The success glossed over a million deficiencies. I adapted because I was caught up in all the enthusiasm." In fact, so engaged was Storrie with the Leeds cause that he even went in goal for an injured Gary Sprake, after he was injured at home to Portsmouth in December. He wasn't an outstanding success, succeeding a goal in the five-minute spell he served between the sticks.

Storrie netted hat tricks against Plymouth and Cardiff and, after two more in a 3-0 win against Luton at the beginning of May, Eric Stanger remarked in the Yorkshire Post, "Storrie's two goals would have graced any game. There is no doubt that Storrie is becoming one of the most dangerous leaders in the Football League. From the way in which he worries the opposition, seeks to exploit the slimmest of chances and bangs away at goal at every opportunity, he reminds me more and more of that other Scot of yesteryear who got so many goals for Leeds - Tom Jennings." Ultimately, United's promotion chase was unsuccessful, but they had a memorable season, building the foundations for the success of the next decade, as recalled by Storrie. "We were a ball winning side, free of injuries, and champing at the bit to go. We played a method game, high-pressure football. Bobby Collins would get hold of the ball and spray passes all over the park for people to chase after. The forwards would hustle, cutting off the supply of back passes to the goalkeeper. I reckon we scored about 10-15 goals a season through forced errors that way."

United finally achieved the promotion that Revie sought in 1964, though Storrie only enjoyed a cameo role, with 3 goals in 15 Second Division appearances. Storrie: "I scored quite a few goals the first season I was there, but the next season hit a bad patch. It seemed the harder I tried to get out of it, the worse it became. Don called me into his office and told me he appreciated my problem and would support me to the hilt. 'Get your wife and kiddie and have a fortnight's holiday in Scotland,' he said. 'You can do anything you like - as long as it's not connected with football.' When I came back, I would have done anything for him. He was never too busy to spare a few minutes asking you how the wife and family were. Most managers do it out of politeness, they don't really mean it. But with Don, you felt he really was interested." As well as a loss of form, Storrie had a lengthy lay off with damaged knee ligaments. He was carried off during an ill-tempered Christmas confrontation with promotion rivals Sunderland and missed the rest of the season, playing just two more games. Storrie recalls the spiteful clash at Roker: "Johnny Crossan was antagonising Billy Bremner from the beginning, but both were having a dunk at each other off the ball. Crossan said, 'You're mad, you Leeds.' When I was carried off, the fans were spitting at me. But Bobby Collins went out and sought retribution - later Len Ashurst was carried off, too." Storrie had only just returned to the team after injuring an ankle against Norwich at the end of September. Deprived of his first choice centre-forward, Don Revie signed Middlesbrough's former England front man Alan Peacock to give a fillip to United's promotion challenge. The move was a success and Leeds outdistanced Sunderland and Preston to win the title, returning to the First Division after a four-year absence.

Jim Storrie returned fully fit at the start of the 1964/65 campaign and was a mainstay as United came close to a League and Cup double. The Scot top scored with 16 goals in 37 League games, managing another couple on the way to the Wembley Cup final. It was feared that Storrie had broken his leg during a 4-0 defeat at Blackpool in September, but the fears proved groundless. An X ray showed that he had merely trapped a nerve and sustained a bad bruise. The Leeds way unsettled sophisticated First Division opponents, as remembered by Storrie. "Revie used to say: 'Anyone who beats you at home must know they've been in a game.' We tended to take this a bit too literally; it became an offence for an opponent to encroach our eighteen-yard line! I think we were over-exuberant more than anything. But Revie must take part of the blame because when we were getting all that bad publicity, he told us: 'Don't worry about the Press ... what matters is the fact that they are talking about you.' I am sure he later regretted this attitude."

Andrew Mourant: "Jim Storrie recalls how Revie's ambition and enthusiasm infected the players. 'After winning promotion, most managers would talk in terms of consolidation. He spoke in terms of finishing in the top four. He said, "We will come up against some world class players but we will be the best team in the League." So he had the optimists among the lads thinking we would win the League and even the pessimists thought we might finish halfway up.' "The club had never before been run as Revie ran it. He was the most driven manager in Leeds United's history. At the outset, he set impossible targets for the squad, of whom only a handful had First Division experience. The psychology was unsophisticated but effective. "Victories in the first three games … gave Leeds more confidence than could ever have come from Revie's words alone. They badly needed the points as injuries to Bell, Giles and Weston, and the prolonged absence of Alan Peacock caused their form to falter. They lost four of the next eight games. The striker's burden was once more thrust upon Jim Storrie: Leeds had not taken the opportunity to strengthen the squad during the close season. "By mid April, as Chelsea's form wavered, the title became a two horse race involving the Uniteds of Leeds and Manchester. The Yorkshire team, which had won nothing save for a couple of Second Division championships, was on the threshold of winning the League and Cup double, a far cry from their Second Division days. On 17 April, 52,368 people packed Elland Road for the most momentous League match in Leeds' history. But with Bremner replacing the injured Storrie at inside-right and Jimmy Greenhoff drafted in at Number 4, Leeds' swaggering home form (four successive wins with 14 goals scored) deserted them when it mattered most. "For Jim Storrie, watching in the stand, the frustration was enormous. 'We lost 1-0 to a daisy cutter from outside the box. It was a dour game but enough to give Manchester the championship,' he said. With four matches and eight points still to play for, the morale of Revie's men had been shot to pieces, and they still appeared in shock two days later, losing 3-0 at Sheffield Wednesday. Their defiance in fighting back from 3-0 down at Birmingham to draw the final match of the season 3-3 was not enough. Both Uniteds finished with 61 points, but Manchester's goal average was far superior." Storrie was recalled from injury to face Liverpool at Wembley in the final. Bobby Collins recalls that Storrie "was injured but never told anybody because he was desperate to play and get a medal." United were badly outplayed on the day, with Albert Johanneson a timid shadow of himself, and Storrie a limping passenger on the flanks. The Reds won the game 2-1 after extra time to leave United with nothing to show for a wonderful campaign. Storrie: "At the finish, the Leeds players felt sorrier for Revie than themselves. We were sitting with our heads bowed when he came into the dressing room, and someone said: 'We're sorry boss....' He replied: 'You've run your guts out all season, have nothing to show for it, and you're sorry for ME? Don't be so bloody daft. Get dressed, we're going back to the hotel for a booze up.'" Whether it was simply due to a loss of form, or a case of Revie feeling that Storrie had let him down by not coming clean about his injury, the Scot was never quite the same player for Leeds again. In 1965/66 he managed 13 goals in 30 League games and featured in 9 Inter Cities Fairs Cup-ties, but spent most of the season consigned to the wings, out of sorts and out of position. He was not a natural wide man and it showed. As Eric Stanger observed after a home defeat to Liverpool in December, "Storrie tries hard on the right wing but that will never be his best position." He would often beat three or four men out wide but then spoon his cross out of play. It was something of a mystery that Revie persisted with Storrie as a winger, but he had few alternatives with Johnny Giles moving inside to replace Bobby Collins when the Scottish veteran broke a thigh. Storrie had a thankless task, but played his part with courage and tenacity. After the injury prone Alan Peacock broke down once more at the end of January, Storrie led the United attack through the last months of the season. Storrie's play and the team's results improved but they were outplayed and beaten in a Fairs Cup semi final against Spain's Real Zaragoza. Storrie put his apparent loss of form down to the Giles-Collins switch: "My game was based on speed off the mark - the ability to lose a defender for a split second or so. Bobby's style of play suited me because as I ran into an open space, I knew he would immediately put the ball into my path, no matter what position he was in. Johnny, however, liked to hold the ball more, so I was often caught in two minds, whether to run forward to receive a pass or move to the side so he could play a one-two off me."

Matters came to a head in 1966/67 when Storrie played just six League games, three of them as sub. He was selected at No 7 in a pre-season friendly against a Glasgow Select XI, but was then consigned to the bench for most of the year, having to wait until October for a rare League start. Disheartened by the course of events, Storrie requested a transfer at the beginning of November in the hope of first team football elsewhere. In February 1967, he got his wish, returning to Scotland in a £13,500 move to Aberdeen. He scored one of the goals in a Scottish Cup quarter final replay against Hibs as Aberdeen won 3-0, but rather blotted his copybook by missing a penalty in the semi final against Dundee United. The Dons won the game 1-0 courtesy of an own goal by Tommy Millar before losing 2-0 to all conquering Celtic in the Hampden final before a crowd of 126,000. Storrie lost his first team place in November 1967, despite being the club's leading scorer. Disillusioned by events, he asked to go on the transfer list, posting a reminder of his talents with five goals for the reserves against Partick. Just after Christmas Storrie joined Rotherham United for £7,000, after turning down moves to Southend and Barnsley.

The deal was one of the first completed by new Millers manager Tommy Docherty. The controversial Scot had built a tremendous young team at Chelsea, leading them to the 1967 FA Cup final, but resigned in October after receiving a 28-day suspension following incidents on the club's summer tour to Bermuda. Rotherham were rooted at the foot of the Second Division at the time, but Storrie's debut on 30 December brought a 1-0 win against Preston and saw the South Yorkshire club climb above Plymouth in the rankings. They crashed 6-0 at promotion chasing QPR a week later, but then went nine games unbeaten in the League and enjoyed an exciting FA Cup run. In the third round, Storrie's 58th minute goal was enough to see off Wolves. Paul Fitzpatrick in the Guardian: "Quinn made the pass and Storrie, who did well to hold off Woodfield, did the rest, the ball rolling home after striking a post." Five minutes from the end of the fourth round tie at Aston Villa, Storrie scored another famous winner, seeing Rotherham through to the fifth round for the first time since 1953. The Scot had rediscovered his touch. The Yorkshire Evening Post reported, following another valuable goal, the winner against Huddersfield at the beginning of March: "Storrie had the last word for it with his brilliantly headed goal which gave Rotherham both points. A much leaner Storrie than in his Leeds days has now scored five goals in the last six games."

The Guardian featured United as they prepared for the fifth round: "The jaded, sorrowful football backyard which was Millmoor is now a place where everyone from first team to sweepers up (the brush variety) has lightness in his step. This is the small, new world of Docherty. Tommy Docherty, often easy to love and sometimes difficult to disagree with, is producing a noisy little revolution in South Yorkshire. "He has been able to restyle and revitalise the entire playing staff. Established, proven favourites have gone. Other players, some barely old enough to shave, have come in, some signed on instant decision. "He has promised - and not lightly - that he will take Rotherham to the First Division, and to Europe. He qualifies this by saying: 'It may take time.' This is doubly delightful to his new admirers in the coalfields and steel making plants. It smacks of 'big man'. "So it is that this week a new style of football dictator holds often hilarious court in his pre Cup tie hotel at Scarborough, races his men across the unwelcoming sands before breakfast, out talks the interviewers, chuckles at adversity, and beams happily upon man and creature around him. Tommy Docherty was never happier - you have his word for it. "A United side with average ago of just over 20 is in step now with the courage and ambitious thinking of their manager. The team that accounted for Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 at home, then Aston Villa 1-0 at Villa Park, take on Leicester City in an all ticket tie at Millmoor. "The side's line up is based on 4-3-3. Alan Hill, from Barnsley, is in goal. The back row is formed of Trevor Swift, a crash tackler, at right-back; Dave Watson, a bargain from Notts County, at centre-half; Brian Tiler, the captain, who at the age of 24 had more than 200 League games to his credit; and Neil Hague, and 18-year-old youth international, at left-back. "John Quinn, the man Docherty bought for £27,000 from Sheffield Wednesday, joins the outside-forwards, Andrew Wilson (21) and David Bentley (17) in the middle row. Jim Storrie, a former Leeds United player, operates just behind the rest of the front row. Like Quinn, Storrie has known Wembley as a member of the losing side. His goals defeated Wolverhampton and Aston Villa, yet he cost Docherty only £7,000 from Aberdeen. He has scored five goals in his last six matches. "In front will be John Shepherd (21), a local player who is unpredictable but sometimes exceptional, and 18-year-old Stephen Downes. Downes, says Docherty, has a remarkable flair for goals. In two and a half senior matches he has scored once and created two other goals. He has scored 27 times for the reserves." It was the self same Dave Watson who later went on to play for Manchester City and England. Also in the Rotherham ranks at the time was "a bustling though none too quick wide midfielder", the young Neil Warnock. The Millers fought back from a poor opening against Leicester - they could have been three goals down in the first 20 minutes, though only a twice taken penalty by David Nish gave the Foxes a slim advantage - before recovering strongly to lay siege to the Leicester goal for the final 20 minutes. "Storrie was a livewire," wrote Terry Lofthouse in the Yorkshire Evening Post, while Roderick MacLeod of the Yorkshire Post recorded: "Storrie came within inches of scoring and with 40 seconds left, players beat the ground in frustration as a header from Hague was on its way into the net when Downes instinctively helped it on, but over the top, from three yards out." In the end, Rotherham got their just reward eleven minutes from time when Steve Downes angled in a fine equaliser. The Leicester defence was in ruins and it was only lack of time that prevented a third Cup upset.

The best chance of glory had gone, and even though they forced City to extra time at Filbert Street (MacLeod: "Rotherham did get the ball into the net after 16 minutes when Downes, tackled by two defenders, headed down to Tiler. Tiler's shot flashed well wide of Mackleworth, but the referee gave a free kick against Downes. Storrie had two flying headers saved by the Leicester reserve goalkeeper and Tiler wasted two chances, first slicing wide and then ballooning over the top."), goals by Frank Large and Mike Stringfellow ended South Yorkshire hopes. The heady excitement of their Cup run over, Docherty's side returned to the grim struggle against relegation. Storrie's initial burst had petered out, with the winner against Huddersfield on 2 March his final goal of the campaign. Nevertheless, a 1-0 success at Bristol City on 29 March was United's fourth in a nine match unbeaten run and took them a point clear of relegation. Three successive defeats thereafter brought a sharp dose of reality and another at Hull on 25 April left Rotherham in need of a miracle, three points from safety with only two games remaining. Preston beat Portsmouth 3-1 at Deepdale on 11 May to end their own relegation fears, confirming that Rotherham's battle was over. Tommy Docherty left Rotherham in October 1968 to take over at QPR. He was in charge at Loftus Road for just 29 days before becoming the first manager appointed by Doug Ellis at Aston Villa. In his absence, Storrie enjoyed a successful 1968/69, becoming the leading scorer with 14 League goals, four of them in the final four games, as Rotherham stabilised in mid table. He switched to inside-right for the latter stages of the season, using his vast experience to bring on young Steve Downes.

In December 1969 Storrie returned to the Second Division with Portsmouth, where he remained until October 1972. He managed 12 goals in 43 games for a team that consistently laboured in the lower half of the table. Storrie spent most of his time at Pompey partnering either former Burnley and England striker Ray Pointer or Mike Trebilcock, the Cornishman who famously scored twice for Everton in the 1966 FA Cup final win over Sheffield Wednesday. The star of the show, though, was the talented England Under-23 midfielder Norman Piper. Storrie's time at Pompey was best remembered for the goal that wasn't. The moment came as Portsmouth played Leicester at Filbert Street in September 1970. The design of the Foxes' triangular goal stanchions had been criticised previously - the previous season Aston Villa's Pat McMahon had fired home only to see his effort rebound off a stanchion and back into play. McMahon's goal was disallowed by the referee and the decision contributed to Villa's relegation. A year on Storrie suffered the same fate. Leicester keeper Peter Shilton told the referee that the ball had crossed the line (different days, indeed), but the official still wouldn't allow it. Newspaper photos after the game clearly showed the ball over the line with Shilton looking straight at it. Pompey lost the game 2-0.

Storrie played 3 matches on loan to Aldershot in March 1972 and was granted a free transfer by Portsmouth two months later. He joined St Mirren as player coach at the end of 1972. He later spent a while as player manager at non-League Waterlooville. Premier League St Johnstone appointed him manager five games from the end of the 1975/76 season, with the Saints doomed to relegation. With nothing to play for, Storrie had some impact - the Saints beat Aberdeen 2-0 and drew another couple of games - but by the end of the season a poor team had amassed the dismal total of 11 points. The young manager struggled to arrest the slide the following season and it required a 4-1 win on the last day of the campaign to prevent a second successive relegation. Storrie was responsible for signing the player who was to become the holder of the club's appearance record, defender Drew Rutherford. Jim Slater in the Who's Who of St Johnstone 1946-92: "When manager Jim Storrie paid only a small fee to East Fife for their young central defender he did possibly the best piece of transfer business in the club's history. At the time Jim was no doubt thinking purely in terms of surviving the 1976/77 season as a First Division outfit. With Drew's enthusiasm and commitment in the team, we picked up 14 points from the last 14 games to avoid relegation ... In February 1982, the 5th anniversary of his transfer, Drew played his 217th match for Saints. In that time he had missed only 5 games." Storrie resigned early in 1977/78 after a disappointing goalless draw against Berwick and later took a job coaching his first club, Airdrie. He worked at a sports centre in Cumbernauld for 14 years and later at Stirling University before retiring.

Diamond Jim Storrie pulled up few trees after quitting Elland Road, though he will always be remembered for helping to transform the fortunes of Leeds United. Richard Longley from Leedsfans.org.uk: "To this day I don't think most people realise just how important a part Jim played in the foundations of the successes Leeds had in the 60s. He was such a hard working player and what he lacked in natural skills he more than made up for in effort and scored many goals and indeed won matches with his tenacity."

PHIL SHAW: Thursday 12 February 2015 Jim Storrie: Inside-forward who scored consistently for Don Revie's first trophy-winning Leeds United side of the 1960s Storrie scored 58 times in 126 Football League matches for Leeds, the kind of ratio that would have made him worth millions in today's market

The collision of Stoke City and Leeds United on the sunlit opening day of the 1962-63 season was only a Second Division fixture, but the football world was intrigued to see whether Stanley Matthews or John Charles would emerge victorious. In the event, Charles and Leeds prevailed, although the fabled Welshman, newly re-signed from Juventus for a club-record £53,000, was eclipsed by another attacker bought during the summer by Don Revie. Jim Storrie had arrived unknown and practically unnoticed from Airdrieonians for £15,650, yet it was the 5ft 8in Scot who struck the game's only goal.

Storrie scored 58 times in 126 Football League matches for Leeds, the kind of ratio that would have made him worth millions in today's market. He played in the 1965 FA Cup final against Liverpool, as well as in European competition, and two years later, after returning to Scotland, he appeared for Aberdeen in its Scottish equivalent.

The inside-forward who became known as "Diamond Jim" after Airdrie's nickname first came to the notice of senior clubs as partner to Willie Wallace – later a European Cup winner with Celtic – for Kelvinside Thistle. The son-in-law of Tony Weldon, a former Everton and West Ham player, he graduated to Kilsyth Rangers and then Airdrie in December 1957, eventually scoring 48 goals in 89 games for the Lanarkshire club.

Leeds were struggling to avoid falling into the Third Division when Revie tried to buy Storrie early in 1962. He rejected them, describing as "ludicrous" the manager's claim that they were "going to be like Real Madrid". By May, however, the purchase of former Celtic "pocket general" Bobby Collins and the plan to bring Charles home convinced Storrie of their ambition, to the consternation of higher-placed suitors Aston Villa and Rangers. Charles had piled on weight and no longer had the requisite work-rate for English football. After 11 games and three goals he joined Roma. But the speedy Storrie excelled, both as a finisher and the first line of defence, pressuring opponents and chasing down seemingly lost causes. In his first English season Storrie scored 25 goals in 38 appearances, including two hat-tricks. He even had a five-minute cameo between the posts when Gary Sprake required treatment (substitutes were still two and a half years away), conceding a goal to Portsmouth.

Injury restricted him in 1963-64, when Leeds returned to the First Division as champions, but the following season he struck 18 League and Cup goals as the side branded "Dirty Leeds" finished runners-up to Manchester United and Liverpool in the League and FA Cup respectively. Storrie made negligible impact at Wembley. Years later, team-mates revealed that he was carrying an injury but did not tell Revie because he did not want to miss out on a medal. He hit 13 goals in 30 outings in 1965-66, but the blossoming of players such as Peter Lorimer and Jimmy Greenhoff limited his opportunities, and in February 1967 he moved to Aberdeen for £13,500.

He scored the Dons' first European goal, against KR Reykjavik, and featured in the defeat by all-conquering Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. But after 10 months, 11 goals and 25 games – plus a summer stint in the US where Aberdeen played as Washington Whips - he was offloaded for £7,000 to Tommy Docherty's Rotherham. The highlight of Storrie's time at Millmoor was a fourth-round FA Cup winner against Wolves.

In December 1969 a £5,000 fee took Storrie to Portsmouth, where he scored 10 times before the end of the campaign and was appointed captain. His 99th and last Football League goal came while on loan to Aldershot, leaving him to rue a referee's mistake during his Pompey days when his header at Leicester crossed the line, hit a stanchion and rebounded into play. Peter Shilton admitted it was a goal, only for the official to wave "play on".

After a brief sojourn at St Mirren he retired as a player. He later had 18 months as manager of St Johnstone and a spell coaching at Airdrie before later working in a sports centre at Cumbernauld and at Stirling University.

James Storrie, footballer and football manager: born Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire 31 March 1940; married Nancy Weldon (deceased; two daughters, one son); died Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire 11 November 2014.

News Archive: 14 November 2014. FORMER SAINTS MANAGER JIM STORRIE PASSES AWAY: St Johnstone Football Club is sad to learn of the passing of former manager Jim Storrie, aged 74.

Kirkintilloch-born Storrie was appointed as successor to Jackie Stewart on 15th April 1976 - the final weeks of St Johnstone’s disastrous participation in the inaugural Premier League campaign which had seen a succession of defeats long-since relegate the club with a low points tally which remains a ignominious record to this day. Storrie – at the time manager of Southern league Waterlooville FC - had shown interest in the job two months earlier when Jackie Stewart had been sacked but was advised that trainer Jim Peacock had been made caretaker manager to give him the opportunity to see if he could turn things around. However, with Jim unable to arrest the fall, he and Storrie were both interviewed for the job with the former Aberdeen player getting the nod.

However, hampered by a playing staff cut not only in numbers but also from full-time to part-time status he understandably struggled to get the club out of the First Division – 11th and 8th positions in the 14 team league falling well below the standards hoped for - and when season 1978/79 began with a League Cup exit at the hands of Second Division Berwick Rangers, his tenure was at an end.

A player with Airdrieonians, Leeds United and Aberdeen, Jim participated in the 1965 FA Cup final, helped the Yorkshire side to the Second Division title and scored for Aberdeen in their first ever European tie. Rotherham United, Portsmouth and St Mirren also benefited from Jim’s playing abilities.

Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Courier: Dundee: 15th November 2014. Former football star Jim Storrie

Former Aberdeen and Leeds footballer Jim Storrie has died after a long illness. He was 74.

Mr Storrie was best known as the centre forward who helped Leeds United gain promotion in 1964 to the First Division.

Born in Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Mr Storrie began his career at Airdrie, making his debut in the 1957–58 season, before being signed by Don Revie for Leeds United as a proven goalscorer for a fee of £15,000 in 1962. He scored the only goal on his debut in Leeds opening match of the 1962–63 season and went on to help Leeds win promotion to the First Division in the 1963–64 season and to reach the 1965 FA Cup final. Injuries reduced his first team opportunities and he faded out of the first team before joining Aberdeen in February 1967. He later played for Rotherham United, Portsmouth, Aldershot and St Mirren.

Aberdeen Voice: 21st November 2014: By David Innes. Dons Hero Jim Storrie Dies, Aged 74

It is with a heavy heart that I have to write about another boyhood Dons hero who has gone. When Jim Storrie signed for Aberdeen from Leeds United in February 1967, the 10 year old me, and the very few Dons fans who attended my school, were visibly excited. We’d signed a player who some of us could recall playing in the 1965 FA Cup final against Liverpool, and although in the mini-battle of Scottish centre forwards that Wembley afternoon, Ian St John prevailed, this was still big news.

The Dons were going well. From previous torpor and disgraceful cup exits, defeated by East Fife and Ayr United, Eddie Turnbull had arrived and had taken the club by the scruff of the neck and forced it to modernise. Money was still tight though, as were the Board’s pockets, and with a high quality crop of youngsters coming through, Turnbull’s need was to bring in an experienced striker to score goals and to help the young starlets develop. Turnbull’s antennae were rarely switched off, and his scouting and insider gossip networks well-established, and on hearing that the experienced, streetwise Jim Storrie was looking to move back north, he wasted no time in bringing him aboard. Storrie was just a month short of his 27th birthday. Turnbull would have been aware of the player’s striking skills when Storrie was hot property at Airdrie before heading for Elland Road.

He debuted in The Sacred Red against Hearts at Tynecastle on 4 March 1967, leaving it two weeks later before he bagged his first Dons goal in a 1-1 draw at Firhill. More importantly, at Pittodrie 10 days later he scored a crucial goal in the Scottish Cup quarter final replay 3-0 defeat of Hibs. That game was attended by 44000 people, with Pittodrie packed to eye-watering capacity. His own drama continued as the Dons went ahead early against Dundee United in the semi-final but Storrie missed the chance to seal the game when he missed a penalty. Playing his second national cup final in two years, Storrie was disappointed to be on the losing side, a 2-0 defeat to Celtic in the final, a game where the Dons never got going.

What is often forgotten is that the Dons then played in the USA for a summer, under the banner of Washington Whips. This great adventure saw Storrie score 6 goals in 13 appearances, contribute regular columns on the trip to The Sunday Post, and win the Whips’ head honcho’s garish yellow sports jacket for scoring two goals in a play-off game against LA Wolves. The whole story of that pioneering adventure was written, with input from Jim and most of his teammates, 17 years ago. I’ll attempt to get it into print for the 50th anniversary in two years time. It was during the authoring of that book that I spoke with Jim, by phone, from his home near Glasgow. He was a splendid interviewee, full of anecdotes, delighted to reminisce about the trip and his affection for the time he spent at Pittodrie was obvious. On the tour, he was always prepared to sing Scots songs at ex-pat parties to which the Whips were invited. Of his regular singing partner, Jimmy Wilson, he said, “Wee Jimmy and me thought we were Peters and Lee. More like Litres of Pee”. He also suffered the ignominy, as a Scot, of being congratulated in the Cleveland match programme for his part in England’s 1966 World Cup theft/victory.

Back home as runners-up in the President’s Cup, Storrie made history by scoring in Aberdeen’s first-ever European tie as the Reds crushed KR Reykjavik 10-0. Over both legs, Jim scored four goals, making him the Dons’ ninth equal all-time top scorer in Europe! Unfortunately, following that US and early Scottish season goal harvest, Jim’s form didn’t continue and he played only fleetingly in the 1967-68 season, before Rotherham United took him back to Yorkshire in 1969. In his time at Pittodrie, he played 25 games and scored 11 goals. He returned to Scotland and managed St Johnstone from 1976-78. He then moved into sports management, running sports centres in the Kilsyth area.

We first heard of his illness in 2012 when Jim’s son Joe contacted me asking if he could have a copy of my manuscript to cheer his dad up after a serious operation. From the feedback Joe sent it seems that it had the desired effect, as Jim enjoyed it. It was with great sadness that we learned the news of his death on 11th November 2014, aged 74, a fleeting but important part of the Reds’ history. The sympathies of all Dons fans around in those exciting days will be with his loved ones.

The Millers Matchday tribute to Jim Storrie who passed away recently. Posted: Sunday 23rd November 2014. Jim Storrie – 1940-2014

Jim Storrie had the distinction of scoring two of Rotherham United's most famous FA Cup goals whilst also playing his part in the success of a young striker who was just starting out. Jim, who died on November 13th, aged 74, was one of the very first signings when Tommy Docherty breezed into the manager's job at Millmoor in late 1967. Not too many Millers players have been signed from Aberdeen but Storrie, then 27, is one of those rarities and Docherty wanted an experienced player up front as the club waged a battle against relegation from the old Second Division (now The Championship). But Storrie's early impact was to be in the FA Cup.

In the third round in January 1968, he scored his first goal for the club, the only goal of the game as Rotherham beat top flight Wolves 1-0 at Millmoor. In the next round, the Millers - stranded in the bottom two - travelled to fellow Second Division side Aston Villa who had already completed a league double over them. Again Storrie got the only goal, doing so five minutes from time and at the Holte End. It put Rotherham into the fifth round for only the second time in their history and it's the last time the club have got to that stage. Storrie's arrival coincided with a run of only two defeats in 14 games but relegation couldn't be avoided. However, Millers fans had seen Storrie's arrival followed shortly afterwards by the emergence of young striker Steven Downes who certainly benefited from a player of Storrie's skills and guile. The following season, in the Third Division, Storrie was near enough an ever-present and top scored with 15 goals but it wasn't just his goals because, all the time, Downes - still a teenager - continued to blossom. The season after that, 1969/70, Storrie left in early October (joining Portsmouth) and a couple of months later Downes, having attracted quite a bit of attention, joined Sheffield Wednesday for £40,000.

Storrie made 84 appearances in all scoring 23 goals. He was no stranger to a Yorkshire though, having been signed (from Airdrie) by Don Revie for Leeds United in the early 1960s, helping them into the top flight and also to the FA Cup Final in 1965. After his spell at Pompey, he returned to his native Scotland for a brief stint with St.Mirren and later had two years as manager of St.Johnstone.

Willie Wallace.com : Farewell to friend Jim Storrie 22nd November 2014. Farewell to friend Jim Storrie

It was sad news indeed to hear of the recent passing of Jim Storrie. Jim and I played together first at Kelvinside Thistle and then with Kilsyth Rangers and despite my travels we remained close lifelong friends. We went to school together at Townhead Secondary in Kirkintilloch. Jim had a fine footballing pedigree, with his stepfather Willie Hewitt having played at left-half for Partick Thistle, and he himself was a highly talented player. Jim had a successful professional career with Airdrie and Aberdeen in Scotland, Leeds United in England and several other clubs.

Being at Townhead School together from the age of 12 to 16 I would not be able to count the number of games of football we played after school at Woodhead Park with all our classmates. Like Jim I set my aim to play football at the highest level I could achieve. It was a huge plus playing with this group through the years as like Jim and myself many went on to play Professional football. Jim never changed over the years always remaining a quiet likeable gentleman. Jim will be sadly missed by us all.

Former Leeds United striker Jim Storrie dies aged 74: By Giuseppe Labellarte, Reporter: Thursday, 13th November 2014. Former Leeds United striker Jim Storrie has passed away at the age of 74 following a short illness.

The forward, a member of the Whites side who played against Liverpool in the 1965 FA Cup final at Wembley, scored 67 goals in 156 games in all competitions for the club. Eddie Gray, who played alongside Storrie at Leeds, told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "It is very sad to hear. Jim was a great goalscorer for Leeds in the old second division and scored a lot of goals to get us promoted and played in the 1965 FA Cup final as well. "Jim definitely played his part in the rise of Leeds and scored some vital goals. He was a good lad, and a real character. On the pitch, he was a hard worker and a good pro."

Storrie also played for Rotherham United, Portsmouth, St Mirren and Havant & Waterlooville.

www.leedsunited.com: Published 13th November 2014. JIM STORRIE

The club is saddened to hear of the passing of former striker...

Leeds United are saddened to learn of the passing away of former striker Jim Storrie at the age of 74. Signed by Don Revie in 1962, Jim made 156 appearances for the club during his five-year stay, scoring 67 times. Jim arrived from Scottish side Airdrie and played a key part in Revie's early success, helping the club to First Division promotion in 1964 and an FA Cup final against Liverpool the following year.

Our thoughts are with Jim's family and friends at this sad time.

www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk: LUFC Former Leeds great Jim Storrie dies

Former Leeds United striker Jim Storrie has sadly passed away at the age of 74.

Storrie was part of the Don Revie side that started its emergence in the 1960`s and he scored 67 goals in 156 appearances during five-years at Elland Road that saw the side go from Division Two strugglers to one of the biggest teams in European football. The Scottish born striker arrived at Leeds in the summer of 1962 after a successful start to his career with Airdrie and he proved the perfect partner for John Charles who had recently returned to the club from Juventus. After scoring in each of his first two games for Leeds Storrie went on to score 27 goals in 43 appearances in all competitions, as Don Revie`s side finished fifth in the Second Division.

An injury ravaged second season at Leeds saw him make just 16 appearances has Leeds won the Second Division title. He scored 19 goals for Leeds in their first season in the top flight, as they finished second in the league and lost the FA Cup final to Liverpool after extra-time, a game in which he was injured. 15 goals followed the following season as Leeds once again finished runners-up in the First Division and they also reached the semi-final of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup semi-final, losing a replay to Real Zaragoza.

Storrie left Leeds to return to Scotland and a move to Aberdeen in February 1967, with his last appearance for Leeds coming for in the 5-0 Boxing Day win over Newcastle, a game in which he scored his last Leeds goal.

He had an eventful spell with the side from Pittodrie, despite only spending ten-months with the club. Storrie missed a penalty in the 2-0 defeat in the Scottish Cup final against Celtic but despite the defeat they qualified for the European Cup Winners Cup the following season. He wrote his name in the clubs history, as he scored their first away goal in European football at Icelandic side KR Reykjavik. Aberdeen had already won the home leg 10-0, another club record, when Storrie opened the scoring just before the break in the second leg and he completed the scoring for Aberdeen in a 4-1 win in Reykjavik.

He returned to Yorkshire and Rotherham United later in the year and he spent two-years at Millmoor before moving to the south coast to join Portsmouth. Storrie spent three-years with the Fratton Park club, including a short loan spell with Aldershot, before he finished his senior playing career with St Mirren in 1973. He returned to the south of England as he took his first managerial post with non-league Havant and Waterlooville. A two-year stint as manager of Scottish side St Johnstone followed by a spell coaching with Airdrie brought to an end his career in football in 1978.

The striker was only 5`8", was known for his all-round hard working displays during his time in football and he was also known for having a wicked sense of humour in the dressing room. Storrie, who was known as 'Diamond Jim Storrie', died after a short illness and our thoughts are with the friends and family of a player who was once voted in the top 50 of all-time greatest Leeds players.

Death at 74 of striker who cost Don Revie’s Leeds United £15,000: by Leon Wobschall 13th November 2014. Eddie Gray has paid tribute to Leeds United striker Jim Storrie, who has died at the age of 74 following a short illness.

The centre-forward, a member of the United side who took the field against Liverpool in the 1965 FA Cup final at Wembley, has been described by Gray as a ‘great goalscorer’ and ‘real character’, with the Scot scoring 67 goals in 156 games for United. On the news of the passing of Storrie, two-times top-scorer for Leeds after joining for £15,650 from Airdrieonians in June 1962, Gray said: “It is very sad to hear. “Jim was a great goalscorer for Leeds in the old second division and scored a lot of goals to get us promoted and played in the ‘65 FA Cup final as well. Jim definitely played his part in the rise of Leeds and scored some vital goals. The likes of him and Ian Lawson, Alan Peacock and Albert Johanneson all made contributions and there was obviously Bobby (Collins) as well. He was a good lad, and a real character. On the pitch, he was a hard worker and a good pro. “He wasn’t that big, but he was good in the air. A few Scottish players have been like that in the past such as Denis Law and Jimmy Millar, who was also never big, but great in the air and could leap. Jim was one of those and put himself about.”

In his debut season of 1962-63, Storrie was Leeds’ leading marksman, netting an impressive 25 goals in 38 Division Two games, with his haul including a hat-trick in the 3-0 triumph over Cardiff at Elland Road on April 27, 1963. Leeds went onto lift the second division title the following campaign and in the club’s first season back in the top-flight in 1964-65, Storrie led the goalscoring charts for a second time after netting 16 goals in 37 appearances. That season ended in a Wembley appearance and United narrowly missing out on the first division championship on goal difference, with the cup final a fateful one for Storrie, who was injured in the showpiece and failed to hit the heights again with Leeds. Storrie netted 67 goals in 156 games in all competitions for Leeds before being returning to his native Scotland to Aberdeen, who signed him for £13,500 in February 1967.

He later played for Rotherham United, Portsmouth, St Mirren and Havant and Waterlooville, with managing St Johnstone and coaching at Airdrie during the seventies before he retired from football.

Gray also has fond memories of Storrie as a character with the wily Scot once handing him a lesson he did not forget and one he has recounted over the years during a cross-country run during their days at team-mates at Leeds in the early sixties under Don Revie. Gray said: “Jim once caught me once with an old Scottish trick. We were doing a cross-country run and I was leading and it was twenty points for the winner and if you were running together, you would get twenty points each. But five yards from the line, Jim sprinted away from me!”

www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk: Tribute to ex Pompey and Leeds star Jim Storrie Pompey fans today will be mourning the death of Jim Storrie who has passed away aged 74.

Jim Storrie began his career with Airdrieonians as a youngster signing from local club Kilsyth Rangers in 1957. He had a successful spell with Scottish club scoring 66 goals in 118 games before being spotted by Leeds United. Leeds boss Don Revie had just succeeded in signing John Charles on his return from Italy and was keen to find a foil for the big man and push for promotion from the Second Division. He saw Jim as the man and paid Airdrie £15,650 for his services on 19 June 1962. It was to prove a wise investment as Jim bought a lot more than pure goal scoring to Elland Road. Jim was a great clubman, a real character in the dressing room, a practical joker at training and a real hustle and bustle type of player. He was not tall for a centre forward - only 1.73m or 5 ft 8 ins - but was deceptively good in the air. At Leeds he became a real star playing 156 games and netting 67 goals. He helped Leeds gain that much sought after place in Division One and helped build the platform for what was to become one of the great clubs in Europe. He was however injured in the 1965 Cup Final with Liverpool and was the never the same player again. He eventually returned to Scotland to join Aberdeen for £13,500 in February 1967 but by the end of the year was back playing in Yorkshire with Tommy Docherty at Rotherham United.

Jim joined Pompey from the Millers in December 1969 for £5,000 and spent three years on the south coast. He was popular for the effort he showed particularly in his partnerships with Ray Hiron and Ray Pointer. He scored goals too but injury again limited his appearances. The highlight of Jim`s Pompey career was curious to say the least. It happened at Filbert Street, Leicester in January 1970. A cross was met by Jim`s now balding head and it flashed into the top corner hit the stanchion and bounced back into play. The referee waived play on despite Leicester keeper Peter Shilton telling him it had crossed the line. The Sunday papers were full of the story including photographs clearly showing the ball over the line. The strange thing is Leicester had just redesigned their goals following an incident the previous season when Pat McMahon of Aston Villa had also had a goal not given in identical circumstances. Villa fans still claim that incident led to relegation. The next season Storrie lost his place to Mike Trebilcock and in March 1972 joined Aldershot on loan. The next season he returned to his native Scotland and joined St Mirren as player coach for a short spell. He was soon back in Hampshire though as player manager at Waterlooville.

Towards the end of the 1975/76 season Scottish Premier League outfit St Johnstone appointed Storrie as their manager. They were doomed to relegation but Jim was in the job for eighteen months before resigning following a 0-0 draw with Berwick Rangers. Jim took a coaching role at Airdrie for a short period before retiring. The next fourteen year were spent at a sports centre in Cumbernauld and then at Stirling University. Throughout his career at Leeds he was known as 'Diamond' Jim Storrie - not because of his tough nature but Diamonds was the nickname of Airdrie because of the large red diamond on their white shirts.

Aberdeen’s first European goal hero Jim Storrie passes away :By David McCarthy 13th November 2014. DONS pay tribute to 60s striker who has died, aged 74

ABERDEEN last night paid tribute to Jim Storrie, the first Dons player to score a European goal for the club, who has passed away after a short illness at the age of 74. The striker, who started his career at Airdrie, played for Aberdeen between 1966 and 1969 scoring 11 goals in 25 appearances – including the opener in the club’s first ever European tie, a 10-0 hammering of Iceland’s KR Reykjavic at Pittodrie. Kirkintilloch-born Storrie was signed for Aberdeen from Leeds United, where he played in the 1965 FA Cup Final, by Eddie Turnbull. He left for Rotherham in 1969 and also played for Portsmouth and St Mirren. He managed St Johnstone between 1976 and 1978.

A message on Aberdeen’s website said: “Our thoughts are with Jim’s family at this sad time.”

Aberdeen Football Club was saddened today to hear the news that former player Jim Storrie has passed away. The former Dons player Jim Storrie has died after a short illness, aged 74. Jim played for the Dons during seasons 1966-67 and 1967-68. The striker was born in Kirkintilloch and started his career at Airdrie, who sold him to Leeds United in 1962 for £15,000. He famously helped Leeds, then managed by Don Revie, win the Second Division title and he also played in the 1965 FA Cup final, which they lost 2-1 to Liverpool. Storrie was signed by Eddie Turnbull in a bid to bolster his attack and went on to make his debut against Hearts at Tynecastle on 4th March 1967. In that campaign he scored in a Scottish cup quarter-final replay victory over Hibs in a match that attracted a crowd of 44,000 - the largest ever to attend a midweek game at Pittodrie. He then played in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final for the Dons, when Aberdeen lost 2-0 to Celtic at Hampden. Storrie had the claim to fame that he netted in the club's first ever European tie the following season, when they beat Iceland's KR Reykjavik 10-0 at Pittodrie. He was also a member of the Washington Whips side that took the USA by storm in the Summer of '67. He made 25 first team appearances in all and scored 11 goals before moving to Rotherham United in 1969. Jim also played for Portsmouth and St Mirren and managed St Johnstone for two years between 1976-1978. Our thoughts are with Jim's family at this sad time.

PUBLISHED 13th November 2014 by Portsmouth FC (www.portsmouthfc.co.uk) Former Blues striker passes away Pompey are mourning the death of former striker Jim Storrie, who has passed away at the age of 74.

After playing part-time for Airdrie, he moved to Leeds and was part of the side that won the Division Two championship in 1964 and were then runners-up in both the top flight and FA Cup the following campaign. It was George Smith who brought the Scot to Fratton Park, with a fee of £5,000 enough for Rotherham to let him go. He quickly became a popular figure on the south coast, netting 10 goals in 19 appearances during his first season with Pompey. When Ron Tindall became manager in 1970, one of his first tasks was to make Storrie club captain. But he never managed to repeat the goalscoring exploits of his maiden Blues campaign and would only bag three goals in 30 games over the next two seasons. In the summer of 1972 Storrie returned north of the border to sign for St Mirren – but it was not a permanent farewell to the south coast. He came back for a stint as player/manager at Pompey’s non-league neighbours Waterlooville, before returning home to manage St Johnstone and coach Airdrie.

Portsmouth Football Club would like to send their deepest condolences to Jim’s family and friends.

www.not606.com/Rip-Jim-Storrie R.I.P Jim Storrie

I am sad to hear the news that the great Jim Storrie the great former Leeds centre forward has died at the age of 74. I have many great memories of his goals over the years that he played for the whites but the one that stands out for me was our first game of the season 1962 away to Stoke City, Don Revie was building his first great team and it was also John Charles first game back at Leeds after he had signed from Juventus in the summer, I have checked it was the 18th of August 1962, I was in the away end at Stoke and we were sure big John would be our way back to the big time (we're have heard that before). The Soke players appeared to be in awe of Big John they were tight to him every time he got the ball. Then we got a corner Bobby Collin went to take it all the Stoke defence were surrounding JC, possibly expecting him to do something special. just as Bobby took the corner JC ran from the 6 yard box towards Bobby corner all the Stoke defenders followed which left Jim Storrie stood in the 6 yard box on his own, he meet Bobby's corner perfectly without a defender in sight, and found the back of the net without any challenge. We won 1-0. I can remember so many more goals, Jim was as you can tell one of my heroes does anyone else have any recollection of this great Leeds veteran. My sympathy goes to his family and to Jim thank you.

Aberdeen Football Club plc: 13th November 2014 News release Former striker Jim Storrie passes away

The former Dons player Jim Storrie has died after a short illness, aged 74. Jim played for the Dons during seasons 1966-67 and 1967-68.

The striker was born in Kirkintilloch and started his career at Airdrie, who sold him to Leeds United in 1962 for £15,000. He famously helped Leeds, then managed by Don Revie, win the Second Division title and he also played in the 1965 FA Cup final, which they lost 2-1 to Liverpool. Storrie was signed by Eddie Turnbull in a bid to bolster his attack and went on to make his debut against Hearts at Tynecastle on 4th March 1967. In that campaign he scored in a Scottish cup quarter-final replay victory over Hibs in a match that attracted a crowd of 44,000 - the largest ever to attend a midweek game at Pittodrie. He then played in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final for the Dons, when Aberdeen lost 2-0 to Celtic at Hampden. Storrie had the claim to fame that he netted in the club's first ever European tie the following season, when they beat Iceland's KR Reykjavik 10-0 at Pittodrie. He was also a member of the Washington Whips side that took the USA by storm in the Summer of '67. He made 25 first team appearances in all and scored 11 goals before moving to Rotherham United in 1969. Jim also played for Portsmouth and St Mirren and managed St Johnstone for two years between 1976-1978.

Our thoughts are with Jim's family at this sad time.

The Scottish Herald: MATT VALLANCE: Wednesday 19 November 2014 Jim Storrie: Born: March 31, 1940; Died: November 13, 2014.

JIM Storrie, who has died after a short illness aged 74, is one of the forgotten men of Don Revie's highly-successful Leeds United teams of the 1960s and 1970s. Known to the Elland Road fans as Diamond Jim, Storrie's goals played a major role in returning United to the English top-flight, but, after being injured in the run-up to the 1965 FA Cup Final, he faded out of the picture. Born In Kirkintilloch, Storrie began his career with junior side Kilsyth Rangers, from where he went into senior football with Airdrie, in December, 1957. He was introduced into the first team at the end of that season, making his debut against Albion Rovers in a Lanarkshire Cup tie on April 7, then his League debut, in a 3-1 loss to Third Lanark, at Cathkin, nine days later. He made 89 appearances for the Diamonds over the next four years, scoring goals at a rate of better than one every second game and that prowess saw him, in June, 1962, transferred to Leeds United for £15,650. Revie saw Storrie, who had explosive pace over ten yards, as the ideal second striker to run onto knock-downs from the great John Charles, who was returning to the club from Juventus. Initially, Storrie was unimpressed by the chance to join Leeds, but, told they had signed Bobby Collins and Charles, he relented when Revie turned up at his work at a switchgear firm to sign him. Charles failed to recapture his former excellence, but, this worked well for Storrie, who became United's main striker, notching 67 goals in 156 appearances, during his five years with the club.

He settled quickly in the considerable Scots colony at the club, opening his goal-scoring account with the winner in his debut against Stoke City, in August, 1962; the first of his 25 goals that season. Leeds won promotion the following season, but, Storrie played little part. Injury and loss of form limited him to 15 games, in which he scored a mere three goals. Back in the top flight, Storrie was a key man for the club, top-scoring with 16 goals in 37 league games, plus a couple in a cup run which ended in Wembley defeat at the hands of Bill Shankly's Liverpool. Storrie played in that game, having hidden the fact that he was carrying an injury from Revie. He was to gradually drift out of the picture as Revie rebuilt. He received his solitary Scotland call, at the end of the 1965-66 season, when he was named in an experimental squad which then Scotland boss John Prentice put together for matches against Portugal and Brazil. He was, not, however, to feature in either game, an oversight by Prentice which caused a rift between the SFA and Leeds. The following season, although he scored 13 goals, he was mainly used out-of-position, on the right wing, and, in February, 1967, he returned to Scotland after Aberdeen boss Eddie Turnbull paid £13,500 for him.

He had been in an Airdrie side, beaten 4-0 by Celtic in a Hampden cup semi-final in 1961. Six years later, he was back at the national stadium, to again face the Hoops, this time in the final. Again, the day ended in disappointment, as Celtic won 2-0. He was Aberdeen's leading scorer the following season, when he was dropped in November and he was soon on his way back to Yorkshire, as Tommy Docherty signed him for Rotherham for £7,000.

There was a great cup run that first season, before Docherty left. Storrie stayed, scoring 19 goals in 79 starts, before, in 1969, he was sold to Portsmouth, where he scored 13 goals in 43 games over three seasons, plus a "goal" which wasn't - he fired a great shot past Peter Shilton in a game at Leicester, but the ball came back off the stanchion and into play and, in spite of Shilton telling the official: "It was a goal", the referee refused to call it.

At the end of the 1972 season, having been freed, Storrie again came north, to a position as a player-coach with St Mirren. He then briefly returned to Hampshire, to play and manage Waterlooville, before finally coming back to Scotland, as St Johnstone manager, towards the end of the 1975-76 season. He spent just over a year with the Perth club, before resigning. There was a chance to take his career full circle, with a spell as a coach back at Airdrie, his final job in football. He took a job at a sports centre in Cumbernauld. He remained there for 14 years, before moving on to Stirling University, where he worked until his formal retirement.

When compared with the likes of Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles or Eddie Gray, Jim Storrie cannot be termed one of Leeds' greatest player, although what he lacked in skill and style he more than made up for in application and work rate. Remembering him, older Leeds fans talk of a man who would miss 10 or 15 "sitters", when "Diamond Jim" became "that pillock from Kirkintilloch"; then, he would produce, seemingly out of nowhere, an amazing winner. Not that he didn't have skills of his own. Like Denis Law, the five-foot-nine inch Storrie was deadly in the air, having an ability, which he shared with Law, to "hang" in the air. He was also an early exponent of the currently fashionable Rabona kick. And, it should not be forgotten that Revie, Turnbull and Docherty were managers who knew a good player when they saw and bought one.

Storrie was predeceased, six months ago, by Nancy, his wife of 53 years, He is survived by son Joe, daughters Ann and Jane, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Nancy's father, Tony Weldon, like his son-in-law had played for Airdrie before a peripatetic career in England. While Joe, after one game with Forfar Athletic, decided his future lay in teaching.

Jim Storrie - - - - - Started by garrellburn, 14th November 2014: Pie & Bovril

It is with great sadness that we hear of the death at age 74 of former Kilsyth Rangers player, Jim Storrie. He had been receiving treatment for cancer and died yesterday, 13th November.

He had a long, and very successfull career in senior football, both in Scotland and England, and it began in 1957 when Kilsyth Rangers signed a pair of promising 17 year olds from a Kirkintilloch juvenile team, Kelviside Thistle. Their names were Jim Storrie and Billy Wallace. Kilsyth had enjoyed a period of great success during the 1950's but the team was ageing and an infusion of new, young talent was needed. Within a few weeks they were the regular right wing pairing to the great Alex Querrie at centre forward. They were both scoring regularly as well as providing Querrie with many great opportunities. However an early exit from the Scottish junior cup at the hands of Arniston Rangers meant that Kilsyth were unlikely to be able to hold onto such talents for very long. Wallace departed to the senior ranks shortly after the new year, although Storrie remained at Kilsyth for a few more months before he also went senior with Airdrieonians.

He quickly made his name, scoring 48 times before a transfer to Leeds United for £15,650, a large fee in that era. To say he became a legend at Leeds would not be an understatement, he scored 67 times including a goal in the 1965 FA cup final in which unfortunately Liverpool came out on top.

There followed spells at Portsmouth, Rotherham and Aldershot, where he always grabbed more than a few goals. returning to Scotland towards the end of his playing career he had a spell with Aberdeen, scoring their first ever away goal in European football, and finally with St Mirren. There followed a spell as manager at Havant and Waterlooville in English non-league football, and then two years as manager at St Johnstone. After his final retirement from the game he settled back in Kilsyth and worked in local sports centres. He maintained a connection with football though, in coaching local Amatuer teams.

Billy Wallace, Jim Storrie and Alex Querrie, not to mention Gibby Ormond on the left wing, will we ever see such a rare combination of talent in one team gracing the junior game again? Highly unlikely, the game has changed such that young players of their talent will never appear in the juniors ever again. It was a privilege however to have seen them in the past.

wingnut: Posted 14 November 2014: Thoughts with the family at this sad time,my son Darren (17) passed away through illness last year on the 13th Nov......R.I.P....Jim Storrie.

Mr Prez: Posted 14 November 2014: Sorry to hear this John

PRICEY: Posted 15 November 2014: Really gutted to hear this. About six months ago, a mutual friend from Kilsyth asked me about him. I knew a wee bit, but also did a bit of research into Jim's career. Most on this forum will be familiar with Don Revie's Leeds side, Jim played a huge part in it. For long enough my friend tried to arrange for me to visit Jim but as Garrell says he didnt keep good health in recent times,though Im told his face lit up when you spoke to him about football. Genuinely saddened. RIP Jim

tinto: Posted 15 November 2014: By coincidence I seen Jim Storrie play on both sides of the border. He played for Airdrieonians against Rangers and from memory Rangers won easily. However I seem to remember him as being Airdrie's best player. Some years later in 1973 we moved to Basingstoke. The very first match I watched the home side was against Waterlooville and Jim Storrie scored both goals in a 2-1 win for Waterlooville. Although towards the end of his career he was still a very good player and a natural goalscorer. I imagine there will be countless people who remember him from the period.

alfie2: Posted 15 November 2014: sad to hear of jims passing condolences to the family from all at rob roy f c many a time I played against jim when they played with kelvinside thistle when I played with rob roy juves great talented players.i believe willie is resident in austrailia great memories

JIM STORRIE Born in Kirkintilloch 31st March 1940, died 13th November 2014

The highlights of a 15 year career, north and south of the border for Jim Storrie was the part he played in Leeds United’s revival under Don Revie. The inside forward was signed by Revie in June 1962, following two prolific seasons for Airdrie, who he joined in December 1957 from Kilsyth Rangers. The £15,000 fee was a substantial one at the time, and there was an immediate return when he scored the only goal of his debut on the opening day of the 1962/63 season, at Stoke. He scored 25 League goals that season but only three in 15 matches the following year as Leeds won the Second Division Championship. He was restored to the first team for Leeds’ first season back in the top division, when they finished second, and Storrie was top scorer with 16 goals in 37 League games. They came close to a remarkable League-and-Cup double, losing in extra time to Liverpool in the FA Cup Final. They were runners up in the League the following season, when Storrie was joint top League goalscorer with Peter Lorimer on 13 goals, but he lost his first team place to Paul Madeley the following season, and was sold to Aberdeen in February 1967. Storrie played in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final defeat to Celtic, but his ten months at Pittodrie brought meagre returns in terms of goals and appearances, and he was sold to Rotherham United in December 1967, where he scored 19 goals in 71 League appearances. Two years later, he moved to Portsmouth, but in almost three years he scored just 12 goals in 43 League games, and had a loan spell at Aldershot in Match 1972. St Mirren brought him back to Scotland in August 1972, but he did little to help ignite a promotion challenge from the Second Division, and at the end of the season he returned to the South coach to be player-manager of Waterlooville, with some success. He was appointed St Johnstone manager in April 1976 but they could only finish eighth (of 14) in the middle Division in 1977/78, and in August 1978 he left Muirton Park. A spell as coach at Airdrie ended his active involvement in football, and he worked in a sports centre in Cumbernauld, and then at Stirling University, until his retirement.

Pompey mourn former captain Jim Storrie: The Sports Desk sport@thenews.co.uk Friday 14th November 2014 Pompey are mourning the death of former captain Jim Storrie, who passed away yesterday at the age of 74.

Born in Kirkintilloch, Scotland, Storrie began his career with Airdrie in 1957, before he moved south to Leeds United and was part of a Whites side who claimed second-division honours in 1964 and were runners up in both the FA Cup and top flight the following season. Moves to Aberdeen and Rotherham followed a five-year stay at Elland Road, before Blues boss George Smith paid the Millers £5,000 to bring Storrie to Fratton Park in December 1969. The striker made his club debut at home to Leicester (3-2) and a week later scored in the first minute of a 3-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. He finished the 1969-70 season with 10 goals from 19 outings - a fine return for such a nominal fee. The summer of 1970 brought a managerial change on the south coast, with Ron Tindall taking over responsibility for team affairs and Storrie was appointed captain. Unfortunately, the forward couldn’t recapture the goalscoring form of the previous campaign and after an ever-present run of appearances up to mid-November, only represented the club on a handful of occasions over the next 18 months. In the summer of 1972, Storrie moved to St Mirren but soon returned to the south coast to become player/manager of non-league Waterlooville. After his playing days were over, Storrie enjoyed a three-year stint in charge of St Johnstone between 1976-78.