Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Scott: John Alfred (Jack)

1950-1956 (Player Details)


Born: Crosby Nr Maryport, Cumberland: 18-07-1928

Debut v Manchester City (h): 04-11-1950

5’11” 11st 2 1/2lb (1951)

Brought up close to the Rugby League strongholds of Workington and Whitehaven, the former blacksmith at Birkby Colliery in Cumberland, Scott rarely played football at school and it was only when some pals asked him to go in goal during a ‘kick-about’ that he was bitten by the soccer bug. He left school at fourteen in 1942 and, being war-time, his first job was camouflaging hangers at Silloth aerodrome. He played for Crosby and then spent two and a half years at Workington. "It was interesing how I was signed on by Workington Reds. The centre half of Crosby was invited for a trial at the Reds. He asked me to go with him to keep him company. The Reds people asked me if I played. I told them I was a goalkeeper. After the trial match they signed me and not him! Nothing much happened at the Reds, I remember being selected for a combined Cumbria side to play Everton at Workington. Our team consisted of four from Carlisle United, four from Barrow and four from the Reds." When Major Buckley was Manager at Hull City he invited Scott for trials at Boothferry Park but the youngster was not taken on. When Buckley became Manager at Leeds he decided to have another look at Scott and signed him from Workington in May 1950. Leeds had been well served by Harold "Polly" Searson, who had been an ever-present in United's iconic 1949-50 season and he had played all fourteen games of the 1950-51 season, with Scott waiting patiently as he gained experience in the Leeds Reserve team. He was called up for his debut against Manchester City at Elland Road, who had Bert Trautmann as their custodian. Frank Dudley scored the Leeds goal as they held the League leaders to a 1-1 draw, but were left fourteenth in the table. Scott went on to make seventeen League appearances in his first season as United recovered to finish fifth for the second consecutive season. Searson had played the final seven games of the season, but Scott was between the posts for the first game of the 1951-52 season as United drew 1-1 with Brentford at Elland Road, but was injured and was out for a lengthy period. Third choice keeper Brian Taylor was given his chance and played the next eleven games, before Searson was restored to play the next nineteen League and four F.A. Cup games. Leeds had mounted a strong challenge in the F.A. Cup, and, after eliminating Rochdale and Bradford Park Avenue, they had played two 1-1 draws with Chelsea, at Elland Road and Stamford Bridge, as both teams strived to make it into the quarter-finals. With the second replay due to be played on 3rd March 1952 at Villa Park, Scott was playing for the Leeds Reserves, in a Central League fixture. "On the Saturday before that match on the Monday, we played Bury reserves and Major Buckley sat beside me on the bus and said: 'If you play well today, I'll have you in against Chelsea!' We beat Bury 5-0 and I said in the bath afterwards to our full-back that I'd a chance of playing against Chelsea as the Major had told me. He said: 'He told me I'd be playing as well!' He'd told all eleven of us and none of us were picked!" so it was not to be. However, after United had lost 1-5 at Villa Park, Scott played all United's ensuing fixtures as a poor away record saw them finish sixth in the table. In 1952-53 Scott was an ever-present, as he had an injury free season. The Leeds defence had a solid look about it as Right-Back Jimmy Dunn and Left-Half Tommy Burden were also ever-presents, while Left-Back Grenville Hair and Centre-Half John Charles only missed two games, while Right-Half Eric Kerfoot missed just three. After twelve games at Centre-Half the Welsh Giant had been pushed up to provide the goals United needed and Irish International Jim McCabe played twenty-two and an emerging Jack Marsden had a run of seven games, while Jack Charlton had his debut in the final game at home to Doncaster Rovers. The close season saw the exit of Major Buckley and the appointment of Raich Carter as Leeds Manager. The 1953-54 started well for Leeds with two home wins, 6-0 win over Notts County and 4-2 over Rotherham United, with John Charles getting seven of the ten goals. The goalscoring problem had been solved, but the next two games were both away and were lost 3-4 at Swansea Town and 0-5 at Leicester City. Not that Scott could remember anything of it as he had received a kick to the head in making a save at the feet of an onrushing Leicester forward and he was carried from the field unconscious and was hospitalized for a week and side-lined for several weeks. Carter's answer to the problem was to promote reserve keeper Tom Wheatley to the team until Scott had recovered and was able to resume his place as the Leeds custodian. He held the job for six games before Scott was reinstated after recovering. He managed four games and Royden Wood who had vied for the deputy keeper's job since arriving in May 1952 then deputised for ten games before Scott was reinstated after the Boxing Day fixture with Nottingham Forest at Elland Road and was first choice for the remaining eighteen League games and the two F.A. Cup ties with Tottenham Hotspur. Scott was a resolute and dependable goalkeeper and well respected by fans, team mates and opponents alike. However, after fourteen games in the 1954-55 season Leeds were beaten 1-5 at Bristol Rovers and he fell out of favour with Manager Raich Carter and the equally reliable Royden Wood took a firm hold on the goalkeeper’s jersey and, after Wood had reeled off seventy consecutive games from October 1954 to the gaining of promotion in April 1956, Scott returned to his native Cumberland in the summer of 1956 as Wood continued his possession of the green jersey missing just one game in the next one hundred and ten. On 14th March 1956 he was given a joint-Testimonial with another United stalwart, Jack Marsden, and as Jack says "In those days a beneficiary could only receive a maximum of £750 but when I looked at my cheque it was for £495, because of income tax deductions" The game, which was between Leeds United and an All Star XI was not a happy event as Jack broke his finger! But the proceeds did go towards establishing a new home in his native Cumberland. But as Jack further observes in his comments "Big John could have been an international in all eleven positions. He was without doubt the best centre forward and centre half that I have ever seen. John and I shared digs before we were both married. I can always say that have slept with one of the world's great footballers!!. How times have changed, when I signed for Leeds in 1950 my wage was £12 per week. It is interesting that only two players at Leeds had a car. Both their wives had good jobs! When you think Wayne Rooney makes more in a day than I made in six years!" After leaving Leeds, he and his wife returned to Maryport and there he worked for Hoover and then Hotpoint, before they set up a Driving School, Maryport Motoring, which he ran for thirty-five years. Scott was also a noted golfer, playing off a scratch handicap. After retirement he continued with his golfing activities representing Cumbria and being appointed Captain. In 1973, both he and his wife had the unique experience of becoming Club Captain of the Mens and Ladies sections respectively. In 1963 Jack was selected to represent the County, and went on to play thirty-four times. In 1980 he was honoured to be invited to take over as Captain which he did for five years. Then the invitation to be President of the Cumbria Golf Union followed in 1980. This lasted for two years and involved numerous after-dinner speeches often alongside the upper echelon of British golf. He has been retired for twenty years and proudly watched his son and daughter turn out to be a successful Veterinary Surgeon and School Teacher. One of his six grandchildren qualified as a Vet last year. Jack recently told of his activities since leaving Leeds and it can be read at http://www.thirkersleeds.co.uk/styled-4/index.html. I would like to thank Jack for his help and he and Thirkers for the use of that attachment.

League 1110
F.A. Cup 30