Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Peterson: Paul Wayne (Paul)

1966-1971 (Player Details)

Left Back

Born: Luton: 22-12-1949

Debut: v Derby County (a): 30-03-1970

56 10 st 6 1/2lb (1970)

Peterson joined Leeds straight from leaving school, after Leeds had noticed him playing for Luton Schoolboys as an outside left who was also an England trialist at Schoolboy level and identified him as a boy with plenty of speed, who could go past full-backs on the outside, which they observed was a necessity in those days of defensive football. He served his apprenticeship and signed professional terms on his seventeenth birthday in December 1966. He showed much promise and played four games for the Leeds Reserve team in the Central League in 1965-66 and in 1969-70 he had been converted to left-back and cemented a regular spot in that position in the Central League team. No matter which way you observe his status in the pecking order for either of the full back positions, his was always going to be a hard task with several internationals vying for those places and coupled with the fact that there were players able to play in multiple positions and the conveyor belt of top-class schoolboys and youths all pressing their claims, his first team chances were always going to be few and far between. His career with United saw him included on the bench for the away leg of the European Cup First Round at Lyn Oslo, when Chris Galvin was declared unfit on the day of the match, 1st October 1969, but Peterson remained unused, but his first team starting appearances come in quick succession at the end of the 1969-70 season when Manager Don Revie rested many of his weary players after they had been battling on four fronts throughout the season. United were still vitally involved in the European Cup and the FA Cup, but were out of the League Cup and did not look like overhauling Everton in the League. Revie gave Peterson his debut at left back in the infamous League game at Derby County, when Revie incurred the wrath of the FA by omitting all his regular team and was duly fined 5,000 for doing it. The Leeds team was David Harvey; Nigel Davey, Paul Peterson; Jimmy Lumsden, David Kennedy, Terry Yorath; Chris Galvin, Mick Bates, Rod Belfitt, Terry Hibbitt, Albert Johanneson. Unsurprisingly they lost 4-1. His second game came in the memorable 2-1 victory over Burnley at Elland Road when Eddie Gray scored two of the best goals ever seen at Elland Road. The team saw Terry Yorath switch to right back, Paul Madeley and Eddie Gray take up the right and left wing-half positions with John Faulkner at centre-half, Albert Johanneson, Chris Galvin and Terry Hibbitt switch to cente-forward, inside left and outside-left respectively with Peter Lorimer coming in on the right wing. The next game a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Manchester City saw Peterson on the bench, having been replaced by Terry Cooper at left back. Terry Yorath gave way to Nigel Davey at right-back, Billy Bremner replaced Paul Madeley at right-half, Allan Clarke was in at inside right with Mick Bates moving to inside-left and Rod Belfitt returning to centre-forward. John Faulkner sustained a nasty injury and Peterson took his place. His final game came in the last League game of the season in a 3-2 defeat at Ipswich Town as United lined up: David Harvey; Nigel Davey, Paul Peterson; Terry Yorath, David Kennedy, Eddie Gray; Chris Galvin, Peter Lorimer, Rod Belfitt, Mick Bates, Terry Hibbitt. Given that United were so well served by an array of left-backs with Terry Cooper at the head of the list he went on a free transfer to Swindon Town in June 1971. He made only one appearance for them, at right-back on 29th January 1972 in a 4-1 defeat at Birmingham City before going into Non-League football with Stevenage Borough. He was later Coach and Assistant Manager at Stevenage, where he worked with Derek Montgomery, with whom he played in the United junior sides in the late 1960s. He stayed at Stevenage, who were playing in the United Counties League for two seasons starting twenty League games and coming off the bench on three occasions, until a run of poor results saw the duo relinquish their positions. He had made his debut on 16th August 1980 in a 3-1 home win over ON Chenecks, scored his first and only goal on 30th August 1980 in a 6-0 home win over Burton Park Wanderers and played his final game on 27th February 1982 in a 3-0 home win over British Timken Duston. He later became the Stevenage Physio.

League 3/10