Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Moore: Stanley (Stan)

1931-1935 (Player Details)


Born: Worksop: 13-12-1909

Debut: v Barnsley (a): 16-01-1932

5’9 1/2” 11st 5lb (1931)

Former pit-boy Moore played in junior football with Anston Athletic before joining Worksop Town. A great display for Worksop against Leeds in a pre-season friendly clinched a move to Elland Road in August 1931. Competition for the goalkeeper’s job was fierce, with incumbent Jimmy Potts a long serving and classy custodian. Bill Johnson had left in the close season and Moore was effectively Potts’ deputy. He managed ten games in the second part of the 1931-32 season, when Potts was injured, but forced his way into the side a dozen games from the end of the 1932-33 season and was ever-present in 1933-34. After starting as first choice in 1934-35, he gave way to long-time deputy Reg Savage after two games but regained his place thirteen games later and looked to be United’s number one for a long time until he broke a leg at Huddersfield Town on 9th February 1935. Reg Savage and John Daniels saw United through until the end of the season, but after Albert McInroy had been signed in June 1935 it looked as though he had lost his place and was placed on the transfer-list. Swansea Town signed him in June 1935 and he was their regular keeper until he retired during World War Two. He was still their regular keeper as the 1939-40 season started and he played three games in the aborted Football League before the onset of War. He played one hundred and twenty-three League games, excluding the aborted 1939-40 season, before the outbreak of World War Two, while at the Vetch Field. With the coming of the Second World War, he and his family returned to live in Leeds and he died there in 1983.

League 780
F.A. Cup 50