Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Meek: George

1952-1960 (Player Details)


Born: Glasgow: 15-02-1934

Debut: v Sheffield United (a): 11-10-1952

5’3” 10st 7lb (1959)

#97 in 100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever

After playing for Thorniewood United, he began his senior career with Hamilton Academical, making a scoring debut against Kilmarnock in December 1951. After just fifteen Scottish League games, the following August, he became a Leeds player. At a diminutive five foot three inches he was Leeds’ smallest-ever player, but made up for this by his boundless energy and elusiveness. Meek proved to be a great winger on either flank during his days at Leeds. A real box of tricks, his ball skills mocked many a full back. In 1954 he was called up for National Service with the Royal Armoured Corps and spent a season on loan with Walsall. He made forty-four League appearances and scored six goals for them. He played for the Army against a Scottish XI at Ibrox Park in January 1955. On his return to Leeds he played his part in United’s promotion to Division One in 1955-56, when his pinpoint crosses led to many a John Charles headed goal. He remained at Elland Road until August 1960 when he was sold to Leicester City for £7,000, where he played only thirteen games without scoring. He made his Leicester debut in a 1-1 draw with Blackpool at Filbert Street but lost his spot to Howard Riley after just four games and apart for one game on Christmas Eve at Burnden Park when Leicester were beaten 0-2 by Bolton Wanderers, when he took over on the left flank from Gordon Wills, and in a 3-1 win over Arsenal at Highbury, on 25th February 1961, when he again deputized on the left wing, he did not play until 25th March 1961 in a 0-0 draw against Preston North End at Deepdale but was then the left winger until the end of the season, when he played his final game in a 3-1 home win over Aston Villa on 19th April 1961. He returned to Walsall in July 1961 and gave them three years excellent service, making one hundred and twenty-eight appearances and scoring twenty-two goals in his second spell with the Saddlers. He found himself playing for Non-League clubs, first with Dudley Town and eventually ending his playing days with Rushall Olympic. In 1992 he was working as a postman in Walsall. He was a fervent supporter for the Leeds United ex-players and played in countless games for charity until he was sixty.

League 19519
F.A. Cup 40