Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

McNiven: David Scott (David)

1972-1978 (Player Details)


Born: Stonehouse, Lanarkshire: 09-09-1955

Debut: v Notts County (h): 08-10-1975

5’6” 11st 4lb (1977)

He represented Falkirk Schools and was taken on by Leeds United in April 1971 Educated at Larkhall Academy, he went on to play for Scotland Under-Fifteens on 15th May 1971 against England at Maine Road, Manchester, as England won 3-1. The Scottish Schoolboy International, was a prolific goalscorer in the Leeds United Juniors and turned professional in September 1972. McNiven earned himself the nickname ‘Supersub’ for scoring vital goals after coming on a substitute for Leeds. He won three Scottish Under-Twenty-one caps, two as a substitute, while at Leeds. His International debut came in a 0-0 draw with Czechoslovakia on 12th October 1976 in Pilsen, when he started the game but was replaced by David Provan then of Kilmarnock. His second cap came at Easter Road, Edinburgh, on 9th February 1977 in a 3-2 win over Wales, when he got the third Scottish goal after coming on as a substitute for Paul Sturrock of Dundee United. His final appearance was as a sixty-fifth minute substitute for future Leeds player, Jim Melrose, then of Partick Thistle, in a 0-2 defeat by Switzerland at the Wankdorf Stadium, Bern, on 30th March 1977, in a UEFA Qualifier. He was a prolific goalscorer in the Juniors and Reserve teams, scoring three hat-tricks in the Central League in 1975-76. With the likes of Allan Clarke, Mick Jones, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan, Duncan McKenzie, John O’Hare and Ray Hankin available as strikers there was little wonder he was restricted to a handful of games when others were injured. He had been on the Leeds books since first having trials at thirteen and was part of a large Scottish contingent which dominated the Leeds team in the 1970's, many of them he had idolised from his schooldays. He joined the Leeds staff on the same day as Keith Parkinson and they played together with Peter Hampton, Carl Harris, Frankie Gray and Byron Stevenson in the same Junior team. Leeds United had an abundance of talent, particularly in striking roles, but a month after his twentieth birthday, he was given his first chance in the first team, when he made his debut in a League Cup tie against Notts County at Elland Road on 8th October 1975. It was not an auspicious occasion for him as Leeds, against the odds, were beaten 0-1 he was replaced by Carl Harris. His League debut was a much better occasion for him when, after coming on as a substitute, for Keith Parkinson, he celebrated by scoring in a 2-1 home win over Manchester City on 17th April 1976. He was also hero-worshipped for scoring an eighty-ninth minute equalizer against Liverpool on 23rd October 1976, which broke a three year goalscoring drought against the reigning champions which had lasted for over six hundred minutes. With Joe Jordan sidelined by injury McNiven had been given his chance in the first half-a-dozen games of the 1976-77 campaign and went on to make eighteen appearances, of which five were from the bench, in which he notched five goals, but Allan Clarke and Joe Jordan were world class strikers and, injuries apart, McNiven had to be content with the occasional game from the bench. there was interest from other clubs and he turned down oppurtunities to join Fulham or go to the United States and Canada. He eventually decided on a move to Bradford City in February 1978, as he had only had two appearances in the 1977-78 season, with his final game coming on 24th August 1977 ia 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion at Elland Road. He proved to be good value for money to the Bantams and the fee of £25,000 was a bargain as he gave them five years faithful service. During his spell at Valley Parade he was always the first choicestriker and scored sixty-four goals in two hundred and twelve League appearances which included ten substitute appearances. He was ever-present with forty-six appearances and nineteen goals as he spearheaded City to promotion in 1982-83. He moved to Blackpool in February 1983 and left there, on a free transfer, in May 1984 after scoring eleven goals in forty-nine appearances of which four were as substitute while at Bloomfield Road. He had a spell with Portland Timbers and Pittsburgh Spirit in the NASL before joining Halifax Town in March 1985 and netting four goals in a dozen League appearances at the Shay. In the 1985 close season he moved to Morecambe, and then he worked as a milkman in Lytham St Annes before going into the second-hand car business as a salesman in Preston. He graduated to Commercial Sales Manager and is still with the same Company, Evans Halshaw, in Preston, twenty-six years later. His father Tom, the former Third Lanark player, was Hibernian’s physiotherapist and Scotland’s physio for the 1974, 1978 and 1982 World Cups. His twin sons both played professional football, David with Oldham Athletic, together with David, Southport, York City and a variety of Scottish and Non-League clubs, which included Farsley Celtic and is currently with Workington in the Blue Square North League and Scott with Oldham Athletic, Oxford United, Mansfield Town and several others including Farsley Celtic, where he played at the same time as David, before retiring for health reasons and is presently Manager of Hyde United.

League 15/76
League Cup 10