Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Linighan: Andrew (Andy)

1984-1986 (Leeds Player Details) (Player Details)

Centre Half

Born: Hartlepool: 18-06-1962

Debut: v Notts County (a): 25-08-1984

6’4” 13st (1985)

Linighan started his footballing career with Smith’s Dock in August 1979 and joined Hartlepool United on 19th September 1980 and after four goals in one hundred and ten League games, eight starts in the F.A. Cup, a goal in seven starts and one game from the bench in the League Cup and one goal in one other game, he was signed by Leeds United for £20,000 on 15th May 1984. He was one of the tallest outfield players to play for Leeds and he came from a footballing family. Younger brother David had trials for Leeds in March 1985, after several years with Hartlepool and went on to play for Shrewsbury Town, Ipswich Town and Blackpool, making over five hundred and twenty League appearances in total. While twin brothers Brian and John were on Sheffield Wednesday’s books but did not make the grade although Brian did play Non-League football. Both his father Brian and his Uncle Michael played for Darlington. Andy was an ever-present in his first season at Leeds and continued in a similar vein until Eddie Gray was sacked and Billy Bremner took over. It did not take Bremner long to bring in his own men and several former Gray regulars fell out of favour. Linighan was sold to Oldham Athletic on 17th January 1986 for £55,000 and soon he was surrounded by former Leeds team mates, Denis Irwin and Tommy Wright who formed the neucleus of an excellent Latic team under Joe Royle and Andy Ritchie soon followed. Oldham reaped a useful profit when they sold him to Norwich City on 4th March 1988 for £300,000, after a proposed move to Crystal Palace had fallen through. At Boundary Park he scored six goals in the League in eighty-seven starts, two more in eight League Cup starts and also started three F.A. Cup games and made four starts in other games. He showed continuing improvement and was rewarded with four England “B” caps. His first came at the Goldstone Ground, Brighton in a 1-1 draw with Italy "B", when he came on as a replacement for Gary Pallister at the start of the second half on 14th November 1989. This was followed by a place in the starting team on 12th December 1989 at the Den in a 2-1 win over Yugoslavia "B", but he gave way to Gary Pallister at half-time. His third cap came in a 1-4 defeat by the Republic of Ireland "B" at Turner's Cross, Cork, on 27th March 1990 in which he played a full game. His fourth and final game came on 24th April 1990 at Roker Park, Sunderland, as a seventy-first minute substitute for Gary Pallister in a 2-1 win over Czechoslovakia "B". Norwich found him good value for money and they finished fourth in the First Division, behind Arsenal, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, and reached the Semi-Finals of the F.A. Cup where they were beaten 0-1 by Everton, at Villa Park, Birmingham, on 15th April 1989, in 1988-89. However, his greatest gift to Norwich came nearly three years after his £1.25 million transfer to Arsenal in July 1990, when, in the 1993 FA Cup Final replay, his last-gasp extra-time header against Sheffield Wednesday in 1992-93, won the game for the Gunners putting them into the European Cup Winners Cup and thus Norwich, as the third placed side in the Premiership, into the UEFA Cup slot that Arsenal had previously held as League Cup holders. Basically Linighan's goal put Norwich into Europe which allowed the Canaries to play ties against Vitesse Arnhem, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan. While at Carrow Road he scored eight goals eighty-six starts in the League, as well as ten starts in the F.A. Cup, six in the League Cup and four in other games. He managed seven starts and thrree games from the bench as Arsenal became the Football League champions in 1990-91. At Arsenal he was always competing with England internationals Tony Adams, Steve Bould and Martin Keown for the central defensive positions. However, he became the toast of the North Bank when he netted the Gunners’ late FA Cup Final replay extra-time against Sheffield Wednesday in 1993, Arsenal triumphing 2-1 after the first meeting had finished 1-1. That year the Gunners won a domestic cup double, with Linighan also picking an UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup medal in 1993-94 as an unused substitute. He also started the same continental final the following year in Paris, when Arsenal were surprisingly beaten 2-1 by Real Zaragoza. He scored five League goals in one hundred and two starts and seventeen games from the bench there was also one goal in twelve starts and two games as a substitute in the F.A. Cup one goal in thirteen starts and one substitute appearance in the League Cup, as well as one goal in ten starts and one game as a substitute in European and other games while at Highbury. He joined Crystal Palace during the 1996-97 season for £110,000 and his steady performance at the back combined with some vital goals helped secure promotion to the Premiership, albeit via the play-offs. After their relegation the following season and Terry Venables' arrival as Manager, one wondered for Linighan's future at Selhurst Park. However, following the transfer of Marc Edworthy to Coventry, Andy was appointed club captain. By the end of the 1997-98 season, he had made forty-five league appearances for the Palace, scoring two goals. Palace's dire financial situation at the beginning of 1999 made it likely that he would be sold to balance the books. Indeed, this almost happened on Transfer Deadline Day 1999 but instead Linighan joined Queens Park Rangers on loan until the end of the season where he played seven League games, three of which were as a substitute. No less than five players departed Selhurst Park that day on loan to reduce the club's wage bill. Although Linighan returned to Selhurst Park at the end of the season, he was transfer listed with Steve Coppell hoping to cut ties with him even though he had a year remaining on his contract. Despite being voted Player of the Year for 1999-2000, his future at Selhurst Park remained uncertain as he was out of contract in the summer of 2000. Palace's new owner Simon Jordan invested heavily in the club in July 2000 enabling them to begin making purchases of players for the first time in two years. In addition, Linighan signed a one year extension to his contract on 21st July 2000. Following a bust up with Jordan over team selection whilst on a training camp in Spain in October 2000, he was sent home early and was looking for a new club possibly with a role in management. He left the club on 16th October 2000 having scored five goals in one hundred and eleven League appearances, of which eight were from the bench, and scored once in six starts and three games from the bench in the League Cup and played five F.A. Cup ties of which two were from the bench and started three Play-off games and two others for Palace. He hoped to extend his playing career to the end of the season and then turn to Coaching or Management. His wish was quickly fulfilled as he joined Oxford United on 16th October 2000, making his debut the following day in a 0-0 home draw with Luton. However, his wisdom was not enough to prevent Oxford from being relegated to Division Three in April 2001. He parted company with United on 25th June 2001 after Twelve starts and also one from the bench, in the Leagie and two starts in the F.A. Cup. On 25th June 2001, he signed up with Ryman Leaguer's St Albans City, making his debut on 18th August 2001 in a 1-3 home defeat to Hampton & Richmond Borough but in early September 2001, after making two starts and coming on twice as a substitute, the Saints announced that his involvement on the playing field would be minimal as he was establishing his plumbing business. He had completed his City and Guilds as a Plumber while playing for Hartlepool United, However, he remained on the books of St Albans until he joined Oxford United as a youth coach, but also left to concentrate on his plumbing business. He is presently coaching his son James' football side Wheathampstead Wanderers.

League 663
F.A. Cup 20
League Cup 61
Full Members’ Cup 20