Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Hampton: Peter John (Peter)

1971-1980 (Player Details)

Full Back

Born: Oldham: 12-09-1954

Debut: v Southampton (a): 28-04-1972

5’7 1/2” 11st 2lb (1979)

Oldham-born Hampton, originally an Outside-Left, lived in the Manchester area until he was ten and almost signed junior forms for Manchester City before his family moved to the North-East. A Bishop Auckland Grammar School Boy, Durham County Schools player and England Schoolboy representative, he was recruited by Don Revie for Leeds in September 1971 and converted to a Left-Back. He won England Youth caps, playing alongside Ray Hankin, in 1972 and made his Leeds debut at Southampton in the same year and kept his place, two days later, for the vist to Birmingham City, as Leeds fulfilled their fixture obligations with an under-strength team. It was a hard apprenticeship for the resolute full-back as Terry Cooper was England's full-back and after he was injured the consistent Trevor Cherry became the incumbent and subsequently Frank Gray emerged as another outstanding left-back. Hampton did not feature in the 1973-74 Championship side, however, he did have the singular honour of being included in the Leeds squad, as an unused substitute, in the European Cup Final against Bayern Munich in Paris in 1976, but it was not until the 1976-77 season that he enjoyed a good run, when Jimmy Armfield switched Frank Gray to midfield to give Hampson his chance. He had been with the club five years before he got a decent run in the first team, and his patience was rewarded but it was in a Leeds team that was in transition. He was in the United team that reached the Semi Final of the FA Cup in 1977 only to be beaten by Manchester United at Hillsborough and he also played in the League Cup Semi-Final against Nottingham Forest the following year. 1977-78 had seen first Cherry, then Frank Gray in the left back position, but Hampton was back in favour in the latter part of the season as his rivals' versatility allowed them to be used elsewhere. His first team position was never assured and Byron Stevenson also became a contender, as Frank Gray left the club and his chances lessened and he sometimes found himself in midfield or on the flanks. He was transferred to Stoke City for £175,000 in August 1980, and made over one hundred and fifty appearances, he scored four goals in one hundred and thirty-eight League games, of which just four were as a substitute. He was a first-team regular, before going to Burnley on a free-transfer in May 1984. He made his Turf Moor Third Division debut against Plymouth Argyle in a 1-1 draw on 25th August 1984 and once more became the established first team left-back and a virtual ever-present for the three seasons that he stayed with the Clarets. He scored four goals in one hundred and eighteen League appearances, of which just two were off the bench. He also made four starts in the F.A.Cup, eight in the League Cup and four in other games, before he played his final game at Turf Moor against Leyton Orient in a 2-1 win in a Fourth Division encounter on 9th May 1987 and he was released at the end of that month. He moved on another free transfer to Rochdale in August 1987 where he scored once and made nineteen League appearances, before becoming Carlisle United’s player-physiotherapist in December of that year. However, he retired after making a dozen appearances to concentrate on the non-playing side. He remained at Carlisle for eleven years, until he got the axe along with Mervyn Day. He was Manager of Workington from May 1998 to October 2001. He became a fully-qualified Chartered Physiotherapist in 2002 and he ran his own practice. He later coached at Brunton Park and ran their school of Excellence and still does work there. He also sells leisurewear. His father was president of Crook Town.

League 63/52
F.A. Cup 51
League Cup5/10
Europe 3/10