Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Gregan: Sean Matthew (Sean)

2004-2007 (Leeds Player Details)(Player Details)


Born: Guisborough: 29-03-1974

Debut v Crewe Alexandra (a): 18-9-2004

6’1” 13st 9lb (2004)

Gregan began his career with Darlington, as a trainee on 20th January 1991 and became an inspirational figure at the heart of the Quakers' defence. It was clear to all that it was only a matter of time before the skipper would make the step up through the divisions. He had joined the club the season they won the old Fourth Division championship and would be an important figure a few seasons later as they came so close to earning automatic promotion from the new Third Division. However, Gregan got to play at Wembley as Darlington lost out to Plymouth Argyle in the play-off final. Within months, Gregan was on the move as David Moyes signed him for Second Division Preston North End in a £350,000 move on 29th November 1996. He had scored four goals in one hundred and thirty-four League games, of which seven had been as a substitute. He had added one goal in eleven play-off and other games, of which one was as substitute, and started seven F.A. Cup Ties and eight League Cup games without scoring. A total of five goals in one hundred and sixty games for the Quakers. He became an instant hit, a fans' hero and the North End club captain. His battling qualities and distribution skills gained him a place in the Preston midfield, of which he was a vitally important feature. His skill and determination saw him voted Preston North End Player of the Year in 1999-2000, as the Lilywhites won the Second Division championship by seven points. He continued to grow in stature as Preston twice came close to claiming a place in the Premiership, but he himself would not be denied a shot at the big time. As West Bromwich Albion earned promotion for the 2002-03 season, Baggies’ boss Gary Megson launched a bid for the Preston stalwart. A war of words began between both clubs as Preston claimed the original offer was derisory. But, in the end, a £1.5million fee was agreed, which could have risen to £2 million, and Gregan signed on the dotted line on 5th August 2002. Gregan had scored twelve goals in two hundred and eighteen League games, of which six had been from the bench. He had also scored twice in fifteen F.A. Cup ties and had started fourteen League Cup matches and eight other games without adding to his goal tally. In total he had scored fourteen goals in two hundred and fifty-five games for Preston. To Preston fans, he will forever be remembered for the goal he scored from the half-way line in a 2-1 win at Norwich City on 17th March 2001. On signing the player on a four-year contract, Megson said: 'There is no doubt Sean will bring leadership, personality, organisation and talent to the squad.' At West Bromwich Albion he quickly became a crowd favourite there too, taking on the captaincy and guiding them back to the Premiership at the first time of asking. Despite being a regular in the side, Gregan was unable to prevent the club's relegation from the Premiership in their first season there. In 2003-04 however, he was instrumental in captaining the side to promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt. He fell out of favour with Baggies’ boss Gary Megson and that allowed Kevin Blackwell to make his move. He joined Leeds United in September 2004,after weeks of transfer negotiations for a fee of £500,000 that could have risen to £1m based on appearances and promotion bonuses. He had scored twice in seventy-six starts and three games off the bench in League games and had made two starts in the F.A. Cup and another four in the League Cup while at the Hawthorns. The midfielder arrived in Leeds with over four hundred and fifty games under his belt and represented the type of experience Kevin Blackwell was desperately trying to add to his squad. He also brought real leadership qualities and during his time at the Hawthorns and with previous clubs Preston and Darlington, he had proved himself as an uncompromising, tough tackler. Gregan had a mixed stint at Leeds, with some inconsistent performances in his favoured midfield position. However, he also commanded some excellent displays at centre-back, with a no-nonsense approach to which he became accustomed to at West Bromwich Albion. However, he was kept out of the first team in the 2006-07 season due to the good form of other defenders Matthew Kilgallon, Paul Butler and Matt Heath. In November 2006, he went on a two month loan to League One team Oldham Athletic. In that loan spell he scored one goal in two starts in the F.A. Cup and nine in the League. When his loan deal expired on 2nd January 2007, he returned to Leeds but shortly afterwards he was released from his Leeds contract. After the successful loan spell Gregan signed a two and a half year contract with Oldham Athletic. In July 2007, Oldham’s Manager John Sheridan confirmed Gregan as the club's new Captain for the 2007-08 campaign. Gregan made fifteen appearances for the club in the 2006-07 season as they reached the play-off semi-finals. He was released by the new Oldham Manager, Dave Penney, on 12 May 2009. However, he changed his mind because of Gregan's professional attitude and fitness and the club signed him on a one year deal. Injuries curtailed his appearances in the early part of the 2010-11 season and Paul Dickov announced in early October 2010 that Gregan could leave the club. He went on a three months loan to Fleetwood Town and then his Oldham Athletic contract was terminated on 5th January 2011. Including his loan spell, Gregan had scored once and started one hundred and twenty-six League games and made three appearances off the bench in League games, scored once in five F.A. Cup starts and started four games in the League Cup and two more in the play-offs and three in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. After playing seven League games during his loan period, Gregan then joined Conference club Fleetwood Town on a permanent basis and by the end of the season he had started twenty-six League games, one F.A. Cup tie and two other games. On 31st May 2011 Fleetwood did not renew his contract and he joined Evo-Stik Premier League side Kendal Town and made his debut in a pre-season friendly with Clitheroe on 23rd July 2011 and was substituted at half-time. He had sixty-one minutes in another friendly before playing the full game in the opening fixture with Worksop Town on 13th August 2011. Unfortunately he only lasted thirty-eight minutes at Matlock Town in the second fixture before he sustained a ruptured achilles tendon. It was a very serious injury and he will face a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

League 63/10
F.A. Cup 10
League Cup 6 0
Play-Off Finals 30