Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Green: Paul Jason (Paul)

2012-2014 (Leeds Player Details) (Player Details)


Born: Pontefract, Yorkshire: 10-04-1983

Debut: Shrewsbury Town (h): 11-08-2012

59 12st 2lb(2011)

Pontefract-born Green started his football career as a trainee with Doncaster Rovers, signing professional forms on 1st August 2001. Doncaster were then a Conference club and Green grew with the club as it achieved promotion three times in five years. He made his debut on 19th March 2002, when still nineteen, in a 2-2 home draw with Northwich Victoria and his first goal for the club soon followed three days later in a 5-2 home over Hayes. Doncaster finished fourth in the Conference that season, but after finishing third in the 2002-03 season, they were promoted to Division Three, when they beat Dagenham & Redbridge in the Conference Play-off Final by 32. 2003-04 saw Doncaster Champions of Division Three and promotion to League One. Green became a key player in the rising Doncaster side and they consolidated in 2004-05, when the finished ninth, and 2005-06, when they came eighth, and in 2006-07 they came eleventh. They won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2006-07 to add to their achievements. 2007-08 saw them make the next step when after finishing third, they won through the play-offs and beat Leeds by 1-0 in the Wembley decider by 1-0 on 25th May 2008. His contract with Doncaster expired at the end of that season and surprisingly he turned down the offer of a new contract to join Derby County just five days after the Wembley triumph. He had scored thirty-one goals in two hundred and forty-one League appearances, of which fifty-four had been as a substitute. He also had scored once in eight starts and three games from the bench in the League Cup and had made seven starts and three substitute appearances in the F.A. Cup and he also scored once in fifteen Johnstone's Trophy games of which six were as a substitute. Green made his Derby debut against hid former club, Doncaster Rovers on 9th August 2008 when Derby lost 0-1 at Pride Park. His first goal for the Rams came ten days later in a 1-1 draw at Bristol City. He was a first-team regular but broke his foot in training on 6th March 2009 and was out for the rest of the season. The 2009-10 season saw him pick up a slight foot injury in the first, on 8th August 2009 in a 2-1 win over Peterborough United at Pride Park. He played on with painkilling injections until 12th September 2009 and a home game with Sheffield United when it was decided that his injury required an operation that caused him to be out of the game until the 6th November encounter with Coventry City at Pride Park. Green's form was good and, despite missing the last two games of the season through injury, led to him being selected for the Republic of Ireland for the first time on 25th May 2010 when he came on as a sixty-ninth minute substitute for Glenn Whelan in a 2-1 home win over Paraguay. Three days later he gained his second cap and scored his first International goal when, in the thirty-first minute, he opened the scoring in a 3-0 home win over Algeria. He had signed a one year extension to his contract in March 2010, keeping him at Pride Park until the end of the 2011-12 season, but that did not stop Celtic from making approaches which were dismissed by the Rams. 2010-11 saw Green again in good form, attracting attention from EPL sides Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool, and he was a virtual ever-present until he sustained ligament damage on 2nd April 2011 at Cardiff City which put him out for six to nine months. He had, however, gained a further seven caps for Ireland, before the injury struck. He played full games, in a friendly 0-1 home defeat by Argentina on 11th August 2010 and three European Championship games against Armenia, in a 1-0 away win on 3rd September, a 3-1 home win over Andorra four days later and a 2-3 home defeat by Russia on 8th October 2010. He also started in the 1-1 away draw with Slovakia four days later, but was replaced by Darron Gibson after forty-two minutes. He also played in two further friendlies, the first as a seventy-sixth minute substitute for Glenn Whelan in the 3-0 home win over Wales on 8th February 2011, the second a full game in a 2-3 home defeat by Uruguay on 29th March 2011. After missing the pre-season and being on the sidelines for the first few months of the 2011-12 season, Green made his return for the Rams as an eighty-second minute substitute in the 0-2 home defeat by Hull City on 19th November 2011, making his run-on return seven days later in a 1-3 defeat at West Ham United. He was a regular from then until near the end of the season, when the club could not come to an agreement over the extension of his contract and Green was dropped after rejecting the club's offer. He made three more appearances for Ireland, all as a substitute, before leaving Pride Park. The first was in 1-1 home draw in a friendly with the Czech Republic when he was a sixty-third minute replacement for Damien Duff, then an eighty-fifth minute replacement for Glenn Whelan in a 0-0 away draw with Hungary on 4th June 2012 and finally as a eightieth minute substitute for the same player in a 4-0 loss to Spain in the European Championship in Ukraine on 14th June 2012. As soon as he returned from the European Championship, he signed for Leeds United on 20th June 2012 on a free transfer with a two year contract from 1st July 2012. on 15th August 2012 he came on as a substitute for Glenn Whelan in the 0-0 away draw with Serbia, this was followed by another substite appearance for the same player, this time at half-time, on 6th February 2013 in a 2-0 home win over Poland, before playing twice more in the World Cup qualifiers, starting on 22nd March 2013 in the 0-0 draw in Sweden and four days later he brought his caps to sixteen when he replaced Shane Long in the eighty-third minute in the 2-2 home draw with Austria four days later. He did not have the best of luck in his first season at Leeds, when he was injured in the first League game of the season at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on 18th August 2012, which saw him sidelined for two months. Unfortunately in his first game back at home to Charlton Athletic he had to leave the field in the sixty-fifth minute and spent several more games on the bench before reclaiming his spot in the first team at home to Watford on 10th November 2012, after that he was a regular in the side and played each game of the final fifteen fixtures. He scored his first Leeds goal on 24th November 2012 in a 2-1 home win over Crystal Palace and followed this up with a goal against his old club, Derby County, on 8th December, when he was made captain for the day, and a week later he was again on target at Ipswich Town and his fourth came on Boxing Day at Nottingham Forest. He added more caps to his growing collection as he replaced Glenn Whelan after sixty-one minutes in a 0-0 at the Cardiff City Stadium against Wales on 14th August 2013, followed by a full game in the 0-1 loss to Austria in the World Cup qualifiers at Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna, on 10th September 2013. Soon after this Green lost his midfield spot at Elland Road and those games were followed by two international games played in quick succession as he played the final nine minutes in a 3-0 win over Latvia at the Aviva Stadium, Dublin, on 15th November 2013 and four days later he played a full game in a 0-0 draw with Poland at the Municipal Stadium in Poznan. On 8th February he was loaned to Ipswich Town for the rest of the season. He made his debut for the Tractor Boys the same day, coming on as a seventy-fourth minute substitute at Oakwell in a 2-2 draw with Barnsley. His starting debut came a week later in a 0-0 draw at Portman Road with Blackpool where he was replaced after seventy-one minutes by Paul Anderson. He opened his goal account on 21st April 2014 with the Mariners second goal after fifty-six minutes in a 2-2 home draw with Bournemouth. He took his total to two in the final game of the season when he got the winner in the sixty-seventh minute in a 2-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday on 3rd May 2014. His Leeds contract was not extended when it ran out and he signed a two-year contract for newly promoted Rotherham United on 30th June 2014. Prior to that, in the close season, there were two more in quick succession the first a 0-0 draw with Italy on 31st May at the Craven Cottage where he took over from David Meyler for the final five minutes and seven days later he played the first sixty-five minutes before giving way to Jeff Hendrick in the 1-1 draw with Chile at the PPL Stadium in Philadelphia. Those caps brought his total to twenty. He made his debut for the Millers on 9th August 2014 in a 0-1 defeat at Derby County. His first goal came in a 1-1 draw at Norwich City, when he gave his side the lead one minute before half time from the penalty spot. He added two more, the first in the forty-fourth minute of a 4-2 home win over Bolton Wanderers on 27th January 2015 and the other the opening goal, after thirty-three minutes, in a 3-3 home draw with Derby County on 17th February 2015 as he finished the season having played thirty-seven games, of wich three were as a substitute in the League and also started one game in each of the F.A. Cup and League Cup.

League 37/44
F.A. Cup 20
League Cup 30