Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Goldthorpe: Ernest Holdroyd (Ernie)

1920-1922 (Player Details)

Centre Forward

Born: Middleton, Leeds: 08-06-1898

Debut v Port Vale (a): 28-08-1920

5’9 1/2” 11st 7lb (1920)

Bad injuries prevented Goldthorpe from fulfilling the potential that he showed as a youngster. He was the son of Walter Goldthorpe, a well-known Northern Rugby player and a member of a well-known Rugby playing family. Unlike his father and uncles Goldthorpe adopted the game of soccer in preference to rugby and he began his career with Yorkshire Schools, playing for them against Lancashire at Bury before joining the Army as a teenager, serving with the pay corps of the Coldstream Guards. Based in London, he spent some time training with Tottenham Hotspur, where his regimental colonel had an interest, and with whom he played until the armistice was signed. He then came back north and played the 1919-20 season with Bradford City, scoring three goals in fifteen League games and six in nineteen goals in total. Leeds signed him in June 1920 and he had the honour of playing in Leeds United's first League game, but he was troubled by a serious knee injury and in March 1922 rejoined Bradford City. In September 1922 he went to Manchester United on a free transfer and he made his debut for them in the 1-1 home draw against Fulham in 21st October 1922 and scored his first goal on 11th November 1922 in a 1-1 draw at Leyton Orient. It was reported that the following year he had an outstanding game against the League leaders, Notts County, on 10th February 1923 scoring four goals and showed flashes of his true form. Ernie went on to make twenty-seven League appearances for the Old Trafford club scoring fifteen goals. He played his final game for Manchester on 30th August 1924, when he scored the only goal of the game. He also scored once in three F.A. Cup games. He moved to Rotherham United in June 1925, after dislocating a collarbone with Manchester United, it was expected that he would score plenty of goals but he managed to find the net only once but played just two league games which both ended in defeat before his leg gave way and he agreed to cancel his agreement in order not to be a burden on the club's finances. His goal came on his debut in a 3-1 home defeat against Nelson, but he eventually drifted out of football to look after his farming interests. Goldthorpe was known as a talented and dashing centre forward but due to many injury problems he was never able to fulfill his potential. Away from the sporting field he worked in a bank, was married to Laura and had a daughter, Beryl. The family lived in Woodville Mount, Leeds. Sadly he died at the age of thirty-one as the Yorkshire Evening Post of Thursday November 6th 1929 reported."Famous Footballer Drops Dead in Street" "Pneumonia and strain while at play""One of the second generation of the famous Goldthorpe family of Hunslet died with tragic suddenness and his death was the subject of an inquest by Leeds deputy coroner this afternoon. Dr Hoyland-Smith said death was due to heart failure following acute double pneumonia from which had been suffering for only twenty-four hours. Severe exertion while playing badminton would be, he said, a secondary cause of collapse. Death from natural causes was the verdict." The report continued "Ernest Goldthorpe, son of Walter, nephew of Albert and James, had been playing badminton at St Oswald's Institute, Hunslet, last night, and was on his way home when he died. His home was at Woodville Mount, Hunslet Carr and he ran up Belle Vue Road in order to attend to his poultry before going home, one hundred and fifty yards away, but he died before a doctor could be called." His mother was convinced that her son could not have taken part in any strenuous activity with pneumonia and the family doctor's opinion was that his heart had enlarged. Over recent yearsoccasional reports of "sudden Death Syndrome" amongst young fit athletes have been reported. This could have been the cause of Ernie's death." Ernie’s brother Walter played Rugby League for twenty-one years, while Albert played for Hunslet RLFC and also captained Hunslet CC. James played Rugby League for Hunslet and was the Secretary of Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletics Club. John had a brief career at Hunslet, and William played in the first-ever Hunslet game at Parkside.

League 62