Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Francis: Clifford Thomas (Cliff)

1935-1938 (Player Details)

Inside Left

Born: Methyr Tydfil: 28-12-1915

Debut v Arsenal (h): 09-04-1938

Height&Weight: Unknown

Francis joined United from Aberaman Athletic in October 1935, but only made the first team once, as United were well served by firstly Billy Furness and then Eric Stephenson in his time at Leeds. He got his chance in a 1-0 home defeat by Arsenal on 9th April 1938 as Eric Stephenson was away on England Duty against Scotland at Wembley the same day. When the Leeds United Reserves won the Central League Title in 1937 he was part of the team that included several up and coming youngsters who were destined for fame. He left for Swindon Town in June 1938. After scoring sixteen goals in forty-one League games for the Wiltshire club in his first season of 1938-39, and playing in two F.A. Cup games and two Division Three South Cup, without scoring, World War Two interrupted his career. He then played in the three League games of the aborted 1939-40 season and they proved to be his final League games in peace-time. In the 1939-40 season he scored twice in three games in the Wartime South-West Regional League, before the Swindon ground was commandeered as a Prisoner of War Camp and the club took no further participation in any competions until the 1945-46 season. While still not officially the start of peacetime football it was the final Wartime season and took on the look of its former format and he took part in five games in the Football League Division Three (South) Southern Section and two in the Division Three (South) Cup, without scoring. The F.A. Cup was recognised as being official Football League games and he scored once in the two games he played in. It proved to be his last season as he retired and never played in the Football League after the War. He scored nineteen goals in sixty appearances in all games while with the Robins. He died in 1961.

League 10