OzWhite's Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
2018-22 - The El Loco Era: Back Where We Belong
2022-24 - Marsch back to the Championship
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Flahavan: Darryl James (Darryl)

2009- 2009 (Leeds Player Details)(Player Details)


Born: Southampton: 28-11-1978

Debut v Nil

5’11” 12st 5lb (2009)

Flahavan started as a trainee for his hometown team of Southampton, signing professional forms on 14th May 1996. He did not make the first team and joined Woking on 1st August 1998 and stayed there for two seasons making twenty-six starts and one substitute appearance in the League competition and two in other games. He moved to Ryman League side Chesham United at the start of the 2000-01 campaign but returned to Nationwide Conference side Woking on 22nd September 2000 and stayed for a month starting six League games. He joined Southend United on 16th October 2000 and he made his Southend debut in the 3-1 defeat at Brunton Park against Carlisle United on 11th November 2000. He played a pivotal part in Southend’s rise from Third Division mediocrity to the CCCL. The first four seasons saw him as a virtual ever-present as the Shrimpers continued their mundane Third Division existence as they finished eleventh twelfth and twice seventeenth. Southend reached the Final of the Football League Trophy but were beaten 2-0 by Blackpool and so he gained an LDV Vans Trophy runners’-up medal. In the 2004-05 campaign he lost his place in the starting line-up to Bart Griemink and had to be content to sit on the bench for twenty ganes before regaining his spot early in the New Year and maintaining it right through the rest of the season and the play-off finals which saw Southend gain promotion to League One after finishing fourth in League Two. For the second successive year they also reached the final of the Football League Trophy, but again they were beaten, this time 2-0 by Wrexham and so he gained a second runners’-up medal. The 2005-06 campaign saw him once more restored to being the regular keeper, missing only three games as Southend were promoted to the CCCL as Champions of Division One. The highlight for him was being named in the League One Team of the Year to go with the club's Player's Player of the Year honour that season. Unfortunately, even though Flahavan was an ever-present Southend were relegated after finishing bottom of the CCCL. He was a hugely popular player at Roots Hall and it was always felt that he was destined for a higher grade of football. So it came as a surprise when after eight years with the club he was released at the end of the 2007-08 season. In his time at Roots Hall he started two hundred and eighty-nine League games and was also a substitute on two occasions. He started twenty-three F.A. Cup games and nine League Cup games. He started three League Two play-off games and made twenty-five starts in the Football League Trophy or Johnstone’s Paint Trophy games. Flahavan claimed he had to leave Roots Hall when Southend only offered him a one year contract and this sealed the move to CCCL side Crystal Palace and a three year contract. Although he was eighth on the Shrimpers’ all-time appearance makers, he had to be content to wait at Selhurst Park as Julian Speroni was first choice. He made his debut for Palace in the League Cup win over Hereford Town and then had the misfortune to come up against an in-form Leeds United in the next Round and a 4-0 thumping. He did make one League appearance and saved a penalty at Cardiff City on 15th November 2008. To make matters worse he sustain quite bad facial injuries in a Reserve game against Aldershot and lost a tooth and had to have cosmetic surgery to fix his nose which was badly broken. He had just recovered from this blow when he was loaned to Leeds United on 26th March 2009, as understudy to Casper Ankergren and David Lucas, as Leeds were making a late promotion bid. He was not called upon to play or sit on the bench during his two month stay. He returned to Selhurst Park and had made his home debut against Newcastle United on 22nd August 2009 but remains second choice. In November 2009 he went on loan to Oldham Athletic and played in seven League games and one in the F.A. Cup before returning at the end of the year. He returned to Oldham on 1st February 2010 and stayed until the end of the season, making a further eleven League appearances. On 27th August 2010 he joined Portsmouth on a free transfer. His Palace record showed just two League appearances and two in the League Cup. He signed initially on a one month contract, he was given a further one month contract on 23rd September2010 and a further one on 26th October 2010. Jamie Ashdown was ever-present in goal for Portsmouth and although Flahavan remained at Fratton Park for the rest of the season he never played for the first team. He was released at the end of the season when his contract was not renewed. He signed a one year contract with Bournemouth on 28th June 2011, with an option for a further year. His elder brother Aaron was also agoalkeeper with Portsmouth until he tragically lost his life on 5th August 2001.