Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Beeney: Mark Raymond (Mark)

1993-1999 (Player Details)(Player Details)


Born: Pembury, Kent: 30-12-1967

Debut v Coventry City (a): 08-05-1993

6’4” 14st 7lb (1995)

Beeney started as an apprentice with Third Division Gillingham, turning professional in August 1985, but, after only two League games, he joined then Non-League Maidstone United in January 1987 on a free transfer. He was ever-present as they won the GM Vauxhall Conference title and promotion to the Football League and he was recognized by England who selected him at semi-professional level with a game against Italy. He went on loan to Aldershot in March 1990, making seven League appearances, but on his return he was in such good form that Second Division Brighton and Hove Albion stepped in and took him on a £30,000 transfer in March 1991, after fifty Football League games for the Fourth Division side. After sixty-eight League starts and one appearance as a substitute for the South Coast team, it took a fee of £350,000, which averted the threat of closure of the club, to bring him to Leeds in April 1993. Although officially still contracted to Brighton until the end of the season United gained special dispensation from the FA and their opponents, Coventry City, to allow Beeney to make his debut, as there was nothing of consequence at stake, in the final game of the 1992-93 season. A big keeper, his meticulous planning left him well prepared as he keenly watched videos of potential penalty–takers. He proved a capable deputy for John Lukic, taking over from him when his form dipped. His contract was extended in June 1996 for a further two years, but he had to retire due to injuries sustained in a Reserve game at Stoke City when he ruptured an Achilles tendon in March 1999. He joined Doncaster Rovers in December 2000, but never played a first team game, and moved to Non-League Dover Athletic in August 2001. He then played for Non-League Sittingbourne, who he also managed from October 2001 until he went on to become the Chelsea Academy Goalkeeping coach in March 2005. He also ran a successful executive chauffeur business for several years. He was promoted to temporary head Goalkeeping Coach at Stamford Bridge by Jose Morinho in September 2007, before reverting to the role he still holds, that of Reserve team and Academy goalkeeping coach in November 2007.

League 350
F.A. Cup 4/10
League Cup 30