Leeds United F.C. History
Leeds United F.C. History : Foreword
1919-29 - The Twenties
1930-39 - The Thirties
1939-46 - The War Years
1947-49 - Post War Depression
1949-57 - The Reign of King John
1957-63 - From Charles to Revie
1961-75 - The Revie Years
1975-82 - The Downward Spiral
1982-88 - The Dark Years
1988-96 - The Wilko Years
1996-04 - The Rollercoaster Ride
2004-17 - Down Among The Deadmen
100 Greatest LUFC Players Ever
Greatest Leeds United Games
Players' Profiles
Managers' Profiles
Leeds City F.C. History
Leeds City F.C. Player and Manager Profiles
Leeds United/City Statistics
Leeds United/City Captains
Leeds United/City Friendlies and Other Games
Leeds United/City Reserves and Other Teams

Halligan: William (Billy)

1909-1910 (Leeds City Player Details)

Centre Forward

Born: Athlone, Ireland: 18-02-1886

Debut: v Lincoln City (h): 01-09-1909

5’10” 12st 0lb (1909)

Halligan began his football career in Belfast where he played first for Cliftonville and Belfast Celtic and then Distillery, who he joined in 1908. He came to the notice of English clubs when he was selected for the Irish League against the Scottish League in February 1909. He became one of many Irish players to be signed by Frank Scott-Walford, the Manager of Leeds City in May 1909. He was certainly one of the most successful of them. He went straight into the Leeds first team for their opening fixture against Lincoln City at Elland Road and Halligan and Jimmy Gemmell both registered a brace and Centre Half Tom Morris added the fifth as City stormed to a 5-0 win. City were always in financial troubles and they could not refuse the offer of £400 that Second Division Derby County laid before them in February 1910 after he had scored eleven goals in just twenty-four games. He also played one F.A. Cup tie without scoring. He had moved to Inside Left so that Leeds could accommodate the free-scoring Billy McLeod at Centre Forward and he turned down the chance to represent his country in Belfast against England, after being called up into the squad as a late replacement for the injured Charlie O’Hagan of Aberdeen. He chose instead to play his final game for Leeds on 12th February 1910 at Inside Left in a 1-2 home defeat by Birmingham. While Leeds City were struggling both financially and on the playing pitch, in joining Derby County Halligan joined a club who were challenging very strongly for promotion into the top flight. However his three goals in fourteen League appearances that season could only ensure a fourth place finish. His goal average picked up strongly in his second season and he had scored five times in just eight games, when Wolverhampton Wanderers paid £450 to take him to Molineux in June 1911. He had already been capped by Northern Ireland on 28th January 1911 and had scored on debut in the 2-1 defeat by Wales in Belfast. He gained his second and final cap while at Molineux when he was in the Northern Ireland team in Belfast that was hammered by England to the tune of 1-6 on 10th February 1912. His stay at Molineux was one of his most consistent and productive periods of his career and he scored thirty-four goals in sixty-five League games and a further seven goals in six F.A. Cup ties and top-scored in both the two seasons with Wolverhampton. Hull City paid £600 when they signed him in May 1913 and he rewarded them with twenty-eight goals on sixty-five League games but failed to score in seven F.A. Cup appearances in two more consistent seasons, before WW1 interrupted the Football League fixtures. During the War he guested for Manchester United, Rochdale, Stockport County and Chesterfield. He played in the two post-War Victory Internationals against Scotland. In the first, played at Hampden Park on 22nd March 1919, he scored the Irish goal in the 1-2 defeat, after Scotland had to play the first twenty minutes with nine men as two players failed to turn up. The second game, played in Belfast on 19th April 1919 resulted in a goal-less draw. On the resumption of League football after the War, Halligan signed for First Division Preston North End, finally making it to the top-flight. However, by then age had caught-up with him, and he found the net just twice in sixteen League appearances, but remarkably those games came in consecutive 2-1 victories over high-flying Liverpool. In January 1920 he left Deepdale and joined First Division Oldham Athletic, taking over from ex-City player Joe Dougherty at Centre Forward and finding the net nine times in twenty-eight League games. His First Division career was ended on Christmas Day 1920 when he broke his ankle when playing in the home game against Bradford Park Avenue. He finished his League career with Third Division North team Nelson, who he signed for in August 1921 for £75. He played seventeen League games, scoring six goals as well as making three F.A. Cup appearances without scoring. He then drifted into Non-League football, with Boston Town and Wisbech Town, where he played until 1925 before finally retiring at the age of thirty-nine. He died in 1950.

League 2411
F.A. Cup 10