Date: Saturday, 30th January 1971.

Venue: Maine Road, Manchester.

Competition: First Division.

Score: Manchester City 0 Leeds United 2.

Scorers: Manchester City: Nil. Leeds United: Clarke, Charlton.

Attendance: 43,517.



Manchester City: Corrigan; Book, Mann; Doyle, Booth, Oakes; Heslop, Bell, Lee, Carradus (Bowyer), Jeffries.

Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Cooper; Bates, Charlton (Belfitt), Hunter; Madeley, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Yorath.

Referee: K. Howley (Billingham).

Leeds were without Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer and Eddie Gray through injuries, but they made light of that handicap on a muddy Maine Road pitch. Even though Jack Charlton was injured in the game and Rod Belfitt came on as substitute, United still controlled the game as they re-organised their forces. Leeds were, without doubt, the team in command and their domination of midfield was clear for all to see.

Francis Lee and Colin Bell strove hard to give the City attack zest and scoring punch, but they could not penetrate the Leeds defence. Francis Lee did get the ball in the net once, but referee Kevin Howley had blown for offside. Late on, as City made a last desperate effort, Gary Sprake was called into action three times in quick succession to make magnificent saves, but by then Leeds were already two goals to the good, and clearly were going to remain in front.

Leeds’ first goal, after just ten minutes, came after Terry Cooper, marauding upfield, slammed in a rocket-like shot which Joe Corrigan failed to hold. As the ball came free, Allan Clarke was lurking to snap up the chance, and stabbed the ball past the City keeper. Just inside the half-hour, City’s defence failed to clear the danger from a corner kick, and Jack Charlton, who had come up for the corner, was on hand to hammer home Leeds’ second goal.

The victory, which completed the double over City, left United five points clear at the top of the table and it was hard to understand how they could lose such a lead, but Arsenal did the double that year, pipping Leeds by one point for the championship.









Allan Clarke and Jack Charlton scored the Leeds goals