Date: Saturday, 29th April 1967.

Venue: Villa Park, Birmingham.

Competition: FA Cup Semi-Final.

Score: Chelsea 1 Leeds United 0

Scorers: Chelsea: Hateley. Leeds United: Nil.

Attendance: 62,378 (Receipts £32,490).


Chelsea: Bonetti; A. Harris, McCreadie; Hollins, Hinton, R. Harris; Cooke, Baldwin, Hateley, Tamblyn, Doyle. Unused Sub: Kirkup.

Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Bell; Bremner, Madeley, Hunter; Giles, Belfitt (Lorimer), Greenhoff, Gray, Cooper.

Referee: K.H. Burns (Dudley).

Controversy raged for weeks about Referee Ken Burns’ decision to disallow a last minute Peter Lorimer effort which would have put United level in a tense, close fought FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park. The game became infamous, particularly in the eyes of the Leeds fans, for the Lorimer ‘goal that never was’. United were twice denied an equalizer in the final seven minutes by referee Ken Burns, but it was the second from substitute Peter Lorimer that was too much for the Leeds fans.

United, a goal down thought that they had squared the tie seven minutes from time when Terry Cooper raced on to Billy Bremner’s flick and his shot flew past Peter Bonetti, only to have a marginal offside decision go against him. The winger maintained that he was in an on-side position when the ball was played through to him.

It was a bitter pill to swallow but worse medicine was to follow. Only seconds remained when United won a free-kick on the edge of the Chelsea penalty area and Johnny Giles rolled the ball to substitute Peter Lorimer, whose fierce shot zipped past the defensive wall, beyond Bonetti’s reach and into the net for what appeared to be a breathtaking goal. As the young Scot turned to celebrate, referee Burns order the free-kick to be retaken because the Chelsea wall had not been ten yards from the ball when the kick was taken and he had not been ready for the kick to be taken. Despite protests from the United players the referee stood firm, the kick was retaken and Chelsea cleared the ball to find themselves through to the Final against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur. Chelsea Manager Tommy Docherty admitted it was a cruel technicality and commented, “It was a great shot and I thought it was a good goal. I would have had no complaints if it had counted.” When the kick was retaken, Lorimer’s effort cannoned off the wall to safety and just about summed up a frustrating day for United’s off form attack.

Jimmy Greenhoff, without a goal since January, failed to ruffle Marvin Hinton and United were lucky no to concede a penalty when Gary Sprake caught Tommy Baldwin in the face with his boot when collecting a centre. Chelsea, who had also eliminated Leeds from the fourth round the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge the previous season, won the game with a fine goal about which there could be no argument. Tricky winger Charlie Cooke skipped past Billy Bremner and Rod Belfitt on the left before whipping over a cross for Tony Hateley to head powerfully past the diving Sprake with only a minute of the first half remaining. It was no more than Chelsea deserved as they had the edge in the first half. Hateley, a big money signing from Aston Villa, was a constant aerial threat to a United defence lacking the dominance of centre-half Jack Charlton, while the Leeds attack collectively had made little impression until Peter Lorimer had replaced Rod Belfitt. He almost scored with his first shot after he came on in the seventieth minute.


Match Action:


Tony Hateley and Peter Bonetti combined to keep Paul Madeley out



Jimmy Greenhoff tussles with        Bell, Greenhoff, Giles, Bremner and Madeley protest the              Cooper, Greenhoff and Giles protest the

Ron Harris and Peter Bonetti         disallowed Lorimer goal                                                                     disallowed Lorimer goal