Date: Wednesday, 26th November 1969.

Venue: Nep Stadium, Budapest, Hungary.

Competition: European Cup Second Round Second Leg.

Score: Ferencvaros 0 Leeds United 3

Scorers: Ferencvaros: Nil. Leeds United: Jones (2), Lorimer.

Attendance: 5,400.


Ferencvaros: Geczi; Novak, Balint; Megyesi, Juhasz, Scucs; Szoke, Branikovits, Horvath (Vajda), Nemeth, Katona.

Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Cooper; Bremner, Charlton, Hunter; Lorimer, Madeley, Jones, Giles, E. Gray (Galvin).

Referee: Jose Maria Ortiz De Mendibil (Spain).


United, while lacking Allan Clarke, were otherwise at full strength and just too good for Ferencvaros who did not seem to have the stomach for a fight in the Second Leg at Budapest. Even on their own Nep Stadium Ferencvaros were dominated by United who doubled their aggregate score. The home team were still crippled by injuries and were given no chance by their supporters of overturning the First Leg deficit and so it proved. Less than 5,500 turned up on a rain lashed night, but if you were a Leeds supporter it would have cost thirty-three guineas to see them play in Budapest courtesy of Wallace Arnold, and the game was played in a stunned silence in the huge stadium.


United, in all red, took an instant grip on midfield through Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles and Paul Madeley and never looked in any danger. Ferencvaros goalkeeper Istvan Geczi was given a taste of things to come when a shot by Mick Jones hit him on the head and then cannoned on to the crossbar and then a post. It was an incredible let-off for the home side but Jones got his just rewards in the thirty-fifth minute when Peter Lorimerís cross eluded Geczi and the big front-runner was able to get the ball in the netoff defender Deszo Novak.


Ferencvaros only offered token resistance and although Istvan Szoke fired against the crossbar, United even took the chance to give Chris Galvin a first team debut as substitute for Eddie Gray in the eightieth minute as United piled on the agony for the home team. It crowned a great few days for the eighteen year old, who had received hid under-eighteen call up by England and celebrated his birthday in the week before the game, but had still yet to make his League debut for United.


Leeds finished the stronger of the two teams and Mick Jones, who had been desperately unlucky on several occasions, hitting the woodwork and having a goal disallowed for offside, finally got a well deserved second with ten minutes to go. He dispossessed Istvan Juhasz on the edge of the penalty area, waltzed past three defenders and sent a low shot into the net. Peter Lorimer hammered the final nail in the coffin with two minutes to go, as he lashed in a raking thirty-yard shot which beat goalkeeper Istvan Geczi all ends up.


The tie with Ferencvaros had proved to be far easier than United had anticipated, but there was tougher opposition to come in the form of Standard Liege who had proved to be stern opposition when the two sides had clashed in the Inter-Cities Fais Cup the previous season.


Pre-match Action:


United in training at the Nep Stadium before the game. Don Revie points the way helped by

Terry Yorath, Jack Charlton, Billy Bremner and Mick Jones amongst others





Chris Galvin debuted†††††††††††† Allan Clarke was still missing