Date: Wednesday, 18th December 1968.

Venue: Elland Road, Leeds.

Competition: Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, Third Round, First Leg.

Score: Leeds United 5 Hannover 96 1

Scorers: Leeds United: O’Grady, Hunter, Lorimer (2) Charlton. Hannover 96: Hellingrath.

Attendance: 25,162.


Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Madeley; Bremner, Charlton, Hunter; O’Grady (Hibbitt), Lorimer, Jones, Giles, E. Gray.

Hannover 96: Podlasly; Hellingrath, Bohnsack;Anders, Breuer, Stiller; Zobel, Heynckes, Bandura, Skoblar, Siemensmeyer (Loof).

Referee: Adolfo Bueno Perales (Spain).

After their strenuous efforts in the first two rounds United were quite happy to come up against less demanding opposition in German club Hannover 96. They turned on the style to cruise through the first leg at Elland Road by 5-1. The visitors, who were coached by Zlatco Cajkovski, who had won sixty caps for Yugoslavia in his playing days,, were swept aside by a fantastic display by United. Prompted by Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles, United attacked from start to finish and but for some remarkable saves by Horst Podlasly Leeds would have hit double figures.

It only took Mike O’Grady four minutes to get his name on the scoresheet, as Norman Hunter exchanged passes with Johnny Giles and his cross from the left was netted by the winger and the crowd sensed a regular flood of goals were immanent. They proved correct as Norman Hunter was next to score one of his not so frequent contributions to the United goal tally when he surged forward and slammed a right-footed drive past Horst Podlasly from thirty yards after thirty-five minutes to leave the score at 2-0 at half-time. The lead could have been bigger but Peter Lorimer and Mick Jones, who had gone into the match without having scored in his last fourteen games, both had shots cleared off the line.

In the second half United really made their superiority count and Peter Loof, who had come on as a half-time substitute for Hannover Captain Hans Siemensmeyer, almost immediately presented United with the third goal. He hit a clearance straight to Johnny Giles, who in turn fed Peter Lorimer, who smashed the ball into the net with an angled drive seven minutes after the break to put the result beyond doubt. Jack Charlton made it 4-0 after sixty two minutes, after Billy Bremner had been brought down on the edge of the penalty box and Johnny Giles’ floated free-kick was headed in by the big centre-half. Peter Lorimer, who had had discussions with Don Revieafter failing to secure a regular spot in the starting line-up, got his second and United’s fifth two minutes later. United continued to pour forward with Paul Madeley’s overlapping runs down the left a feature of the game, but thanks to their goalkeeper’s agility Hannover managed to stem the tide of goals  and four minutes from time Hans-Josef Hellingrath scored a consolation goal for the outclassed visitors when he lobbed the ball over Gary Sprake.

Match Action:

Mike O’Grady finishes up in the net after scoring the first goal

Gary Sprake saves from Siemensmeyer

Peter Lorimer scores for Leeds


Mike O’Grady, Norman Hunter, Peter Lorimer (2) and Jack Charlton were the United scorers