Date: Saturday, 5th January 1957.

Venue: Elland Road Leeds.

Competition: FA Cup 3rd Round.

Score: Leeds United 1 Cardiff City 2

Scorers: Leeds United: Charles (pen). Cardiff City: Stockin, McSeveney.

Attendance: 34,459. (Receipts £4,588)


Leeds United: Wood; Dunn, Hair; Gibson, Charlton, Kerfoot; Meek, Charles, Brook, Forrest, Overfield.

Cardiff City: Vearncombe; Rutter, R. Stitfall; Baker, Malloy, Sullivan; Walsh, McSeveney, Hitchens, Stockin, Nugent.

Referee: Mr J. Kelly (Chorley, Lancashire).


In the seasons 1955-56, 1956-57, and 1957-58 Leeds United met Cardiff City in the Third Round of the FA Cup. Each time the score was the same 2-1 to the visitors.


In the season 1956-57 Leeds and Cardiff City were both in the First Division. John Charles scored for Leeds and Stockin and McSeveney for Cardiff.


Lightning struck twice as Cardiff bundled Leeds out of the Cup by the same score in the same round at the same ground as the previous season. The only thing that was different was that the goals came in a different order. Unitedís attempts to play pretty football in the mud got them bogged down, whilst Cardiff, quick and hard in the tackle, showed greater urgency in their rapid counter attacks. Only Eric Kerfoot, who ran himself into the ground in Unitedís cause, could match Cardiffís endeavour. Cardiff produced the greater threats on goal and Wood did well to keep out a Johnny McSeveney header, Cliff Nugent blazed wide when well placed and Ron Stockin struck a post. Six minutes after the interval, Cardiff broke the deadlock. Stockin powered in a shot which rebounded off Jack Charlton and the Cardiff man was sharp enough to smack the ball in at the second attempt.Ten minutes later Harold Brook was brought down in the Cardiff box and John Charles scored from the spot, but needed three bites at the cherry to get the ball in the net. Goalkeeper Graham Vearncombe parried Charlesí first shot, half blocked the second, but was helpless as the Leeds giant gobbled up the third opportunity. But inside a couple of minutes United found themselves chasing the game in the pouring rain. Derek Sullivanís long kick found Nugent, who chipped the ball in for McSeveney to race through a big gap in the United defence and score with aplomb. Unitedís attack had been well-held but Vearncombe still needed to produce the save of the match, tipping a dipping, swerving shot from George Meek round a post. The match was John Charlesí last Cup tie for United before his world record £65,000 transfer to Juventus.






Leeds goal-scorer: John Charles†††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††Cardiff Goalscorers: Ron Stockin and John McSeveney


††† ††††††††††††††††

Graham Vearncombe was in goal for Cardiff††††††††††††††††††† Ron Stitfall and Charlie Rutter were the Full Backs



Colin Baker, Danny Malloy and Derek Sullivan were the Cardiff Half-Backs


The agile Graham Vearncombe was in fine form in the Cardiff goal making many fine saves and twice almost saving a penalty


†† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Geoge Meek was thwarted by Vearncombe††††† Harold Brook was fouled for the penalty†† Captain Eric Kerfoot was outstanding for Leeds