Date: Saturday, 3rd January 1970.

Venue: Elland Road, Leeds.

Competition: FA Cup Third Round.

Score: Leeds United 2 Swansea Town 1

Scorers: Leeds United: Giles (pen), Jones. Swansea Town: Gwyther.

Attendance: 30,246.


Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Cooper; Bremner, Charlton, Hunter; Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Madeley. Unused Sub: Yorath.

Swansea Town: Millington; Lawrence, Gomersall; Slee, Nurse, Thomas; L. Allchurch Screen, H. Williams, Gwyther, B. Evans. Unused Sub: Rosser.

Referee: Mr D.A. Corbett (Wolverhampton).

Leeds were nearly brought down to earth by Fourth Division Swansea Town in the Third Round of the FA Cup at Elland Road. What should have been an afternoon stroll for United’s International stars turned out to be a desperate dash to victory against the gallant Fourth Division side from Wales. They trailed 1-0 to a David Gwyther goal, but with thirty minutes left Swansea central defender Mel Nurse was sent off after clashing with Allan Clarke and United squeezed home against the ten-man opposition with a penalty from Johnny Giles and a header from Mick Jones.

The key to the game came on the hour, when Swansea, deservedly leading 1-0, had centre-half Mel Nurse sent off. Facing ten men for the final thirty minutes, United squeezed home, but even then they had to rely upon a penalty to stir them into action.

In the summer Leeds, the Football League Champions, had added the striking skills of Leicester City goal poacher Allan Clarke for a British record fee of £165,000. But he and the rest of his United collegues were constantly repelled by the bustling Swansea defenders. The costly Clarke missed two chances he would normally have taken with aplomb, whilst at the other end Herbie Williams also failed to cash in on three opportunities as the United defence struggled to get their act together.

The Swans moved gracefully into a twenty-fourth minute lead when Williams clipped a pass through Paul Madeley’s legs and Brian Evans turned and shot. Although Gary Sprake did well to block it, the ball ran to David Gwyther, who accepted the simple chance.

With United struggling, one of the greatest FA Cup shocks of all times was on the cards until the game reached the hour mark. There was a tussle between Clarke and Nurse which ended in the Swansea defender flattening the United striker. After consulting with his linesman Referee Danny Corbett ordered Nurse to the dressing-rooms. United cashed in on Nurse’s moment of madness and drew level ten minutes later after David Lawrence had handled. Gradually Swansea’s resistance crumbled and twelve minutes from time there was no Nurse aroundto take care of Mick Jones, who, unmarked, headed in a Terry Cooper corner. United were indebted to their keeper, as Gary Sprake broke the hearts of his home town club and supporters when he saved from the Swansea striker Evans in the final minute.

Swansea achieved promotion that season, finishing third.



Match Action:



Mick Jones scores the winner with Billy Bremner ready to make sure 





Leeds United 1969-70: With Football League Championship Trophy won in 1968-69.

Back Row: Don Revie (Manager), Paul Reaney, Norman Hunter, Rod Belfitt, Eddie Gray.

Middle Row: Mike O’Grady, Jack Charlton, Gary Sprake, David Harvey, Mick Jones, Paul Madeley.

Front Row: Allan Clarke, Terry Cooper, Terry Hibbitt, Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, Mick Bates.






     Mel Nurse was sent-off after a clash with Allan Clarke                                                       



United goal-scorers Johnny Giles (penalty) and Mick Jones                                   David Gwyther scored for Swansea



                   Brian Evans was denied by Gary Sprake in the final minutes